Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady "New Dimension" dies.

Account Suspended

Hornady "New Dimension" dies.

Prompted by a remark on another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Redding dies are great. I just don't own any at this time that I remember. (Oh wait! 30 Whisper) Hornady "New Dimension" dies are my gripe. I have 220 Swift, 243, and a particularly troublesome 9.3x57 set. All of them are problematic and cheaply made. My 243 and 9,3 dies had the expander ball drilled off of axis so it pulled the neck crooked. Now that I think of it, my latest 30-06 Small Based dies from RCBS aren't exactly a peach, either.~Muir
    Crikey, I hope you are wrong and have just been unlucky. So, now I'm off to try my "unused" hornday dies.

Mine are... Hornady "Custom-Grade" (I take that to mean nothing what-so-ever, should I?) "New-Dimension" Dies... does that mean they don't stick to the usual dimensions?

The .30-06 set I have just mounted a f/l resizer into the press from were purchased new about 10 years ago... they've been lying in a box with me with for much of that time along with some other stuff that came from a late friend's dispersed collection of gear.... and at first glance look well enough made. The removable, expander "ball" is actually pretty neat looking, quite nicely centred and... as I've discovered by careful measurement... if I ever need a hollow, steel .306" diameter boat-tailed bullet that's .753" long... my search is over before it is begun. The internal honing is near mirror like everywhere except in the case shoulder area, where there are quite discernible machine marks . There is a vent hole for excess lube though and I always like to see one of those. And... after a quick look, my Lee die (for the same cartridge) actually looks substantially less "fancy" all through, particularly in the same shoulder area (max expander diameter is also .306" though). I have taken the step of discarding the Hornady lock-ring and I'm using a Lee 'O'-ringed lock-ring instead, but then again I take that step with every die I use.

Off to size now. With enough lube... and no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Prompted by a remark on another thread.

Crikey, I hope you are wrong and have just been unlucky. So, now I'm off to try my "unused" hornday dies.

Mine are... Hornady "Custom-Grade" (I take that to mean nothing what-so-ever, should I?) "New-Dimension" Dies... does that mean they don't stick to the usual dimensions?

The .30-06 set I have just mounted a f/l resizer into the press from were purchased new about 10 years ago... they've been lying in a box with me with for much of that time along with some other stuff that came from a late friend's dispersed collection of gear.... and at first glance look well enough made. The removable, expander "ball" is actually pretty neat looking, quite nicely centred and... as I've discovered by careful measurement... if I ever need a hollow, steel .306" diameter boat-tailed bullet that's .753" long... my search is over before it is begun. The internal honing is near mirror like everywhere except in the case shoulder area, where there are quite discernible machine marks . There is a vent hole for excess lube though and I always like to see one of those. And... after a quick look, my Lee die (for the same cartridge) actually looks substantially less "fancy" all through, particularly in the same shoulder area (max expander diameter is also .306" though). I have taken the step of discarding the Hornady lock-ring and I'm using a Lee 'O'-ringed lock-ring instead, but then again I take that step with every die I use.

Off to size now. With enough lube... and no more.
    Yeah. Mine say "Custom Grade" as well. I think that means that they put the same effort into all of them. My old Hornady dies, of which I have many, are fine. ~Muir

Over the years I have changed from Lyman and RCBS dies to Hornaday new dimension dies, only issue is the older spindles need to be very tight, I have replaced one with the new zip spindle.

Account Suspended
    "Hornady.......... we've had a problem"

Expander ball Ok.
    Spindle and deprimer rod Ok
    Resizer die body Ok

But... when the spindle is mounted into the body and its retainer is tightened up.... problem.

End result is a spindle/expander that is decidedly not mounted centrally (not even close). The problem seems to be poor machining of the threads (very loose fit) and even the actual design of the retaining nut/collar and seating chamfer seems questionable. By contrast my Lee die's taper fit retainer seems to self centre beautifully.

I've now got the die back in bits while I try and figure a solution to this. I would also tend to assume this assymetry issue would be why Muir was having trouble with deformed case necks (smudged longer on one side) after resizing... I haven't wasted any cases yet.

Have to agree, the New Dimension dies are a solution in search of a problem; they're just cheaper to make. been through two separate "zip spindles" so far on my 6.5 Creedmoor dies. Finally just bought some RCBS dies that are the traditional design (threaded expander button rod and threaded sleeve with nut).

BTW, Redding dies are really nice (what RCBS used to be 20 yrs ago). I think all die manufacturers go through their phases of really good, to really bad products and QC.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Have to agree, the New Dimension dies are a solution in search of a problem; they're just cheaper to make. been through two separate "zip spindles" so far on my 6.5 Creedmoor dies. Finally just bought some RCBS dies that are the traditional design (threaded expander button rod and threaded sleeve with nut).

BTW, Redding dies are really nice (what RCBS used to be 20 yrs ago). I think all die manufacturers go through their phases of really good, to really bad products and QC.
    I have to admit the Hornady people are not showering themselves in glory with me at the moment.

I wrote to their "tech" dept and said what was happening. ie. I tighten the spindle retaining nut and the spindle will not centre correctly... and what's the cure?

They kindly wrote back advising that if I assemble the die into a press and tighten the lock-ring before putting the spindle into place and tightening the retaining nut and still have problems I should let them know... Errr..... WTF? ... Ok maybe I didn't state "categorically" that this is what I've already done.

So, I wrote back and told them I have done as they advise and YES! I still have the same problem... and... What happens now?

I await their next response.

Meanwhile, I've started reloading with my Lee dies and if it stays fair will pop out this afternoon just to check the load is up to usual standards before I load up a 100 batch.

M'PMI ... I use Redding for my 6.5-284 and get excellent results. You may not know it but over here we regularly have all sorts of bother acquiring reloading gear. Our importers/distributors are not usually very good at supplying "specials". When I first got my 6.5-284 (8 years ago) I was told I could be looking at a six month wait for reloading dies as the usual importers had none in stock, of any make. So, I went online instead, to Sinclair (if I recall correctly) and three days later my dies arrived here in Bonnie Scotland. By contrast, the Lapua Brass was easy to acquire... if you convenently forget just how much they sting you for it. Having said that I bought two x100 boxes, the second of which is still as new and unopened, for the princely sum of 38 per box (currently that equates to $61 U.S. per 1x100 box) ... it's MUCH more expensive here now. So, that's a plus.

I have to admit the Hornady people are not showering themselves in glory with me at the moment.

I wrote to their "tech" dept and said what was happening. ie. I tighten the spindle retaining nut and the spindle will not centre correctly... and what's the cure?

They kindly wrote back advising that if I assemble the die into a press and tighten the lock-ring before putting the spindle into place and tightening the retaining nut and still have problems I should let them know... Errr..... WTF? ... Ok maybe I didn't state "categorically" that this is what I've already done.

So, I wrote back and told them I have done as they advise and YES! I still have the same problem... and... What happens now?

Meanwhile, I've started reloading with my Lee dies and if it stays fair will pop out this afternoon just to check the load is up to usual standards before I load up a 100 batch.

M'PMI ... I use Redding for my 6.5-284 and get excellent results. You may not know it but over here we regularly have all sorts of bother acquiring reloading gear. Our importers/distributors are not usually very good at supplying "specials". When I first got my 6.5-284 (8 years ago) I was told I could be looking at a six month wait for reloading dies as the usual importers had none in stock, of any make. So, I went online instead, to Sinclair (if I recall correctly) and three days later my dies arrived here in Bonnie Scotland. By contrast, the Lapua Brass was easy to acquire... if you convenently forget just how much they sting you for it. Having said that I bought two x100 boxes, the second of which is still as new and unopened, for the princely sum of 38 per box (currently that equates to $61 U.S. per 1x100 box) ... it's MUCH more expensive here now. So, that's a plus.
    I will admit that when I've called Hornady they have been pretty quick with replacement parts but the dies are really horrible. The Trading Post has invested heavily in them so now I buy dies in the city. I bought a set of RCBS 7mm-08 dies last week but haven't put them to use. I put a hold on Weatherby Vanguard 7-08 last night (not for me, amazingly enough) so in a couple of weeks I'll see how these new RCBS dies work, too. My last set, 30-06 Small Base, worked fine but the external finish was rough.~Muir

Tamus,

You make a very strong case for investing in a small lathe, capable of cutting threads and making D Bit reamers. It sounds like a fellow could make a nice profit, just filling UK orders for custom dies and such.

You guys need (like has already begun with rifles and stocks) to stand up your own home grown die manufacturing in the UK., so you aren't constantly being screwed with import duties and long lead times.

JMHO

I have Hornady new dimension custom dies in 25-06 222 and 223 and have had no problems at all with them maybe I was lucky or just got older ones but I will be getting a set in 30-06 and if they are not fit for purpose i will be sending them back.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Tamus,

You make a very strong case for investing in a small lathe, capable of cutting threads and making D Bit reamers. It sounds like a fellow could make a nice profit, just filling UK orders for custom dies and such.

You guys need (like has already begun with rifles and stocks) to stand up your own home grown die manufacturing in the UK., so you aren't constantly being screwed with import duties and long lead times.

JMHO
    Instigator.~Muir