Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warble Fly in Highland Red Deer

Warble Fly in Highland Red Deer

Hello all,
    I'm in the middle of butchering one of my hinds and have found about 10 to 15 small (about 1cm long) maggots (Warble Fly larvae ?) under the skin. There is very little meat damage that I can see. There are a couple of these things on the saddle, one or two on the hind legs and five or so on the shoulders/spine. I've taken advice and been selective with the cuts. I cannot find any information on any websites about health problems to humans, but I'm a bit concerned about eating the meat. Should I be?

Thanks in advance.

Kent
    nope, don't worry Warble fly lavae live between the pelt and meat. Trim the less savoury looking bits and enjoy the rest. If you don't mark up the bags and put it in with other venison you might feel better psychologically but you will come to no harm.
    To compleate it's life sycle the horrible liitle thing has to burrow back out through the skin.
    Deer warble are not the same as Cattle warble

TJ
    Warble fly like Nasal Bot Fly pose no significant risk to human health.

Their major impact is upon the quality of the carcase.

Just do as you have been and select the undamaged cuts.

Hi B,
    Deer warble are Hypoderma diana.All they do is mess up the skin if you wanted to tan it.Quite common in highland deer.

morena

Thanks Gentlemen,
    I really didn't want to chuck away all that fresh meat! I have done as instructed. I've got rid of the 'Minging' looking bits, Chopped up the not so nasty looking bits for the dogs and the rest for the family and me! Vension Wellington with a Cranberry sauce for Christmas day! Yum..yum!

Cheers B.

TJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent
    Deer warble are not the same as Cattle warble
    Not necessarily true. There are two other species of warble fly within the UK, Hypoderma bovis and H. lineatum. Of these the former is the predominant species in Britain. Both can cause serious myiasis to cattle, and deer

Kent
    I stand corrected if you say so,
    however i checked this on my desease and parasites cards from the BDS before i made the statement and it states and i quote "The warble fly of Deer do not Effect Cattle" (the presence of warble fly in cattle is a notifiable disease)

Please let me know the source of your information if you would

TJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent
    I stand corrected if you say so,
    however i checked this on my desease and parasites cards from the BDS before i made the statement and it states and i quote "The warble fly of Deer do not Effect Cattle" (the presence of warble fly in cattle is a notifiable disease)

Please let me know the source of your information if you would
    But I understand that the cattle warble fly can infect deer.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/dise...efly/index.htm

Whilst the adult flies can be distinguished visually. I'm not so sure about their larva.

The presence of warble fly in carcases sent for slaughter even requires a Meat Inspectors report.

Kent
    sorry i am all at sea now. Beuwulf just eat the stuff!

Let me get this right then. I can eat the meat, I don't need to tell DEFRA and if in the future I sold a carcass to a game dealer that showed signs of Warble fly, it could still be sold as fit for human consumption?