Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice Buck yesterday morning but does he look ok?

Nice Buck yesterday morning but does he look ok?

Finally got a buck who is one of three causing problems at a new permission I got a month ago - I'd tried evening high seat sessions (its a small shoot with two lines of safe fire). I'd seen fresh tracks each day so suspected they were feeding either at night or at dawn.
    I arrived at 5am saturday morning (dawn being 6.20am), after I'd gotten my gun etc out and got to the high seat it was 5.20am so a good hour to let everything settle down. Perfect.
    Just before dawn there was a tell tale bark in the neighbours field. At dawn I heard something large go through the water filled ditch bordering the nursery, then twenty minutes later another one. I guessed they were feeding the other side of the polytunnel and heard a few noises.
    I contemplated trying to get down the high seat and take a shot, but then realised it was 6.20am and I hadn't had a coffee and was being stupid. I waited until just before 7 before a nice buck limped into sight. He was kicking his rear right leg out as he walked but seemed fine otherwise and was happily browsing on new shoots. Trouble was he was to the right of my high seat, a safe shot but i'd have to swivel round to the right 45 degrees and find something to rest on... I managed it, then waited long minutes in an awkward position until finally a decent broadside shot presented itself. I squeezed the trigger, no whollop or reaction. "bollox" I thought... he trotted about 10 yards to the hedge-row, I'd reloaded by the time he stopped, I positioned the cross hairs, and he dropped.
    I'd jerked to the left slightly and hit the lungs rather than heart, but a clean kill nonetheless. Got eaten alive by midges and mosquito's during the gralloch, but was too chuffed to notice until my girlfriend asked why I had red spots all over my ass crack (builders bum during gralloch)!!!

He was lame on one foot but otherwise seemed in good health. I'm DSC1 qualified, but the trouble is I've never actually seen a dangerously ill (TB etc) deer in the flesh!!! From what I remember of my DSC1 TB etc is exceptionally rare in wild deer as they are a very naturally healthy wild animal. I live in west sussex and the majority of the farming in the area I shot this boy is arable rather than livestock so I think the likelihood of it being diseased is very slim.

The glands looked fine, and he looked bright eyed and healthy. He had one dodgy hoof causing the limp but I'd put that down to all the damp weather. It was a lung shot but I couldn't see any lesions, would be good to get some reassurance from you all though as the last deer I shot here was a manky old thing I felt bad feeding to the maggots...??????

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1_1.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	488.4 KB 
ID:	19773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1_2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	19774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1_3.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	19775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1_4.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	593.8 KB 
ID:	19776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1_5.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	636.5 KB 
ID:	19777Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1_6.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	679.0 KB 
ID:	19778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1_7.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	542.3 KB 
ID:	19779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1_8.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	19780Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1_9.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	19781Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1_10.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	19782

Thanks all,
    Rich
    Last edited by BunnyDoom; 01-10-2012 at 06:36.

p.s. Some weird little black nodules in the pics which I'd guess were nerve endings going nuts, took a pic and would appreciate confirmation of this and opinions on the state of the lungs (was lung shot bear in mind)???

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    p.s. Some weird little black nodules in the pics which I'd guess were nerve endings going nuts, took a pic and would appreciate confirmation of this and opinions on the state of the lungs (was lung shot bear in mind)???
    Hard to tell from just pictures mate, but looks fine. Can't expect lungs to look too good after putting an expanding bullet through them though! The Lymph glands are the most important to check, and if they were good, then it should be fine. The black nodules are also part of the lymph system - but not a lot of people know that!
    MS
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 30-09-2012 at 22:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Hard to tell from just pictures mate, but looks fine. Can't expect lungs to look to good after putting a expanding bullet through then though! The Lymph glands are the most important to check, and if they were good, then it should be fine. The black nodules are also part of the lymph system - but not a lot of people know that!
    MS
    +1

Thanks Monkey, so the black nodules look ok then? Or do they mean nothing in themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    Thanks Monkey, so the black nodules look ok then? Or do they mean nothing in themselves?
    They never seem to look any different! You should mainly check the mesenteric plus the two sets in the head as a minimum, but it is good practise to check as many as possible. Get one of the gralloch DVD's as a refresher if unsure. MS

Place to check would be the popliteal lymph node which can be found just above the hock. If there is anything serious with the foot it will be enlarged. If you can't easily find it then eat away (assuming carcase 'sets').

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

looks fine. If you have the time or inclination there are books on lymph nodes that outline quite how many there are. Those black dots are tiny lymph nodes though, small is good!

2 in the head, mesenteric, liver, heart and lungs for completeness.

Nice head

Cheers all, have to admit I'm in bad habits as usually just check the mesenteric as a result of watching the guy I go out with on paid stalks... I'll be checking both from know on but is it fair to say TB in wild deer is very rare and when they have it it's usually fairly obvious (bloody noses and lung lesions)?

The guy who ran my DSC1 said he'd shot thousands of deer and only ever seen two suspected cases of TB, and one of those turned out to be pneumonia!???

Obviously we should check every animal we shoot, but this bit of land is making me nervous as so far the two I've seen have both had something wrong with them! Just keen to ensure it is indeed me getting over cautious; been hunting a while and usually trust my instincts on whether to eat be it fur, feather or fin... This one seemed ok but don't want to kill my girlfriend

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote. This one seemed ok but don't want to kill my girlfriend

Don't worry that'll change, oh yeah and the deer looks fine. Nice head too looks like a bronze poss silver medal