Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Sako 75 deluxe

  1. #1

    Sako 75 deluxe

    I'm after a new .308. I'm a big fan of varmint rifles and heavy barrels. After pulling the plug on a Ruger VT order because the importer can't get a delivery time out of Ruger I've decided on a S/H Sako 75 Varmint.

    Haven't found one yet but I have run into a 75 Deluxe. It is apparently mint (less than 50 shots fired), unthreaded and the asking price is 900/1000 depending on haggling, with optilock mounts. I haven't seen it in the flesh yet and it will be a bit of a trek to do so, so befor I do does this sound good and how might a heavy varminter addict get on with it? I'm assuming this is a Hunter but with nicer woodwork. Will it be a medium or lightweight barrel? I ask because I really don't want lightweight. Been there done that and didn't like it.
    Opinions please.

  2. #2
    IIRC the 75 Deluxe is a standard sporter (i.e. lightweight) barrel. I'd hold on for a varmint barrel, they're out there. I also wouldn't rule out an early Tikka with a heavy barrel (M55, M595 etc)

    Andrew

  3. #3
    It is indeed a lightweight barrel with pretty wood.

    Know a chap who bought a mint .223 deluxe "less than 50 shots fired" it should have read "less than 50 rounds fired and never cleaned or cared for" as it threw bullets sideways regardless of weight.

    75 varmint barrels are long (24") and very heavy, perfect for range but imo too heavy to be lumping for any great distance.

  4. #4
    I would not categorise a std 75 sako .308 or 7mm/08 barrel as lightweight. They are a mid weight sporter and similiar to a remington, winchester, tikka 55 etc. A sako 75 in .308 is a 8+ lb rifle, there is plenty of steel in the action and barrel. A light weight would be a remington mtn rifle or a kimber montana.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainstalker View Post
    I would not categorise a std 75 sako .308 or 7mm/08 barrel as lightweight. They are a mid weight sporter and similiar to a remington, winchester, tikka 55 etc. A sako 75 in .308 is a 8+ lb rifle, there is plenty of steel in the action and barrel. A light weight would be a remington mtn rifle or a kimber montana.
    Lightweight for a Sako would be a better description.
    Agree with you, Sako really are medium weight sporters.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    Lightweight for a Sako would be a better description.
    Agree with you, Sako really are medium weight sporters.
    Hopefully the same can be said for M595s as it's looking likely I'll be buying one of those. Still, once you've got a quality gun you can always shoot it and rebarrel it. Cheaper than a new rifle. And better when current models aren't a patch on the old ones.

    Why did they stop making 75s and M595s?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    I'm after a new .308. I'm a big fan of varmint rifles and heavy barrels. After pulling the plug on a Ruger VT order because the importer can't get a delivery time out of Ruger I've decided on a S/H Sako 75 Varmint.

    Haven't found one yet but I have run into a 75 Deluxe. It is apparently mint (less than 50 shots fired), unthreaded and the asking price is 900/1000 depending on haggling, with optilock mounts. I haven't seen it in the flesh yet and it will be a bit of a trek to do so, so befor I do does this sound good and how might a heavy varminter addict get on with it? I'm assuming this is a Hunter but with nicer woodwork. Will it be a medium or lightweight barrel? I ask because I really don't want lightweight. Been there done that and didn't like it.
    Opinions please.
    The Sako HB .308 Varminter is an excellent rifle.
    Mine was a half-incher at 100yds for me and I am partially sighted and 79.

    I sold it recently complete with Optiloc mounts and a Besonder 8-32X50 scope, dies, brass and some bullets for 1100.

    HWH.

  8. #8
    i got a sako 75 hb i am not a very big person and dont find it heavy the 75 is an excellent rifle even with a stainless p e s mod it no problem
    it is a little top heavy with the mod but a Z aim sling cures that
    Last edited by d foxxer; 06-10-2012 at 12:52.

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* Sako 75 deluxe 25-06
    By wivenhoe65 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 20-05-2017, 18:56
  2. Sako 75 Deluxe .270 - what to look for?
    By rigboot in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 21-08-2011, 11:57
  3. Will a Sako 75 .308 bolt be the same as a sako 75 .243????
    By woodystock in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 21-06-2011, 15:26
  4. Wanted Sako 75 Deluxe .243
    By Dom in forum Firearms
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-02-2011, 22:00
  5. For Sale .222 Sako 75 Deluxe
    By Sikaside in forum Firearms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-06-2010, 18:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •