Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sika pricket shot in Bath & N E Somerset

Sika pricket shot in Bath & N E Somerset

Although not unheard of in my area, a keeper friend of mind had a client shoot a 3 legged Sika pricket on Saturday morning, 3 miles south of Bath. He was out after a cull roe buck and spotted the pricket hobbling down a fenceline at 8 in the morning. On closer inspection, the deer was missing its back right leg below the hock. Thats when the decision was made to shoot it. As it turned out the wound was healing nicely and no doubt the deer would have faired OK if left. Can't fault him for taking the beast though.
    The guy who shot it thought it was a fallow.
    Last edited by pip; 01-10-2012 at 11:33. Reason: More info

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pip View Post
    The guy who shot it thought it was a fallow.
    Just goes to show that the requirment for some sort of training should be taken. It does amaze me how resiliant animals are, from domestic pets to wild animals. TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Agrre Tartin training is needed stubling through life with a firearm picking up bits of info as you go along has no place nowadays. With regards the sika my feeling is if they are not one hundred % take them out of the bigger picture.

To be fair, without knowing the full circumstances of this incident i.e. daylight/poor light, how much of the beast was seen before the shot etc, a sika and fallow in summer pelage are not that far apart especially if it is a young stag/buck just showing spikes. And if the guest has no experience with sika...

I agree though that any deer with an injury like that should be taken and perhaps more so as a stag because even if surviving with only one good back leg it is going to get such a hammering during the rut.

A sika stag was shot about 12 miles from Bath two weeks ago in west wiltshire! Wish there were more around here !!

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Agrre Tartin training is needed stubling through life with a firearm picking up bits of info as you go along has no place nowadays. With regards the sika my feeling is if they are not one hundred % take them out of the bigger picture.
    I would be exceptionally careful before I recommend obligatory training before you can get your FAC/SGC. As non shooting people will at the end decide on the exam they will make them very hard indeed. In Germany before they were made easier it took about a year of studying most evenings before you had a chance of passing and I hate to think what the examinators are going to charge.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I think it can be hard for us to imagine sometimes how far these animals will travel. I met a guy on the east coast of Scotland near Inverness who remembered when the sika first escaped. He said it took them 1 year to get from the east coast to the west coast and then about 10 years to come back the other way. It just goes to show that when they want to go somewhere they will.
    I'm in the North of Dorset and there are plenty around here. They show up at deer parks particularly at this time of year.

Sika in summer pelage and fallow can be difficult to distinguish at the best of times especially when cover is high and disguises the main identification features - especially if you are only expecting either one or the other in that particular area! I suspect there would be many stalkers that would have made the same mistake. There was no mistake anyway though really as either is in season and a humane dispatch was the obvious choice. Good result really!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Neil M View Post
    A sika stag was shot about 12 miles from Bath two weeks ago in west wiltshire! Wish there were more around here !!
    there was once a small herd of sika which roamed around the yatesbury (bettween calne and marlbourgh) area i never personal saw them but a chap whom i have ever faith in had them on his stalking ground but never shot them but they never held for very long until they moved on but have now not been seen for some years

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Sika in summer pelage and fallow can be difficult to distinguish at the best of times especially when cover is high and disguises the main identification features - especially if you are only expecting either one or the other in that particular area! I suspect there would be many stalkers that would have made the same mistake. There was no mistake anyway though really as either is in season and a humane dispatch was the obvious choice. Good result really!
    MS
    I have to admit i shot a Sika pricket in East Sussex(nearest Sika population 30 miles ) thinking it was a Fallow in the half light . What a suprise , would i have shot it had i known it was a Sika , probably yes ,it tasted fantastic .

Chill