Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to practice on running boar?

Where to practice on running boar?

Evening all,
    I'm after some help,basically I'm off to france in January on the driven boar and want to do as much practice as possible,and not just turn up and hope for the best.
    After some searching Iv'e naarrowed two possibble locations,
    Bissley have a running boar range,but at a cost of 200 a day to hire seems rather expensive,unless I'm missing something.
    Also minsterley ranges in shropshire have a running boar at a moderate 30 a session.
    does any one have any experience of either club or any other club with access to running targets that alow non members.
    Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved.

Minsterley is obviously much closer for you gelert but has always been out of service whenenever I have visited the site in the past. I have shot on the BSRC range at Bisley on a couple of occasions and know that their set up is in regular use and well maintained. In addition to that the reception at Bisley has always been more welcoming and the club members very helpful.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Click here,
    Only .22LR is allowed on the running boar target, but it's good practice all the same.
    The next and last event this year is on Sat Oct 13th.
    Contact BASC SE to check availability.

Regards

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy~mofo View Post
    Click here,
    Only .22LR is allowed on the running boar target, but it's good practice all the same.
    The next and last event this year is on Sat Oct 13th.
    Contact BASC SE to check availability.

Regards

Andy
    This event is held on the BSRC range and normally involves one go at the running boar (50m .22), one go at the running deer (100 yards centre fire) and the stalkers test shot on the static targets at 100 yards (centre fire). The cost for the day works out at 40 but there can be some add ons. I've shot it a couple of times in the past and it's a good day but the travelling gets to me especially the rush hour on the M4 around Reading in the morning.
    Last edited by 8x57; 02-10-2012 at 06:27.

Try the cheapo flights from Gatwick to Munich and there is an indoor shooting cinema located only 45 mins from the airport on the Pfaffenhofen exit on the A9 autobahn, there you can also rent rifles and they must use the cineshot sintered ammo which is much cheaper to practise with.
    Just an optional idea.
    Martin

One option might be to find a clay shooting ground with bolting rabbits? I remember shooting bolting rabbits an awfully long time ago, but the set-up only went one way. It would be good to shoot them L-R and vice versa. Low crossing birds would also be helpful. A go at sporting clays in general would help? Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 02-10-2012 at 15:00. Reason: bad grammar

Another trick as is used by the whizzo prince from germany it is shown on his video is to have an UNLOADED rifle and a DVD video of boar on the TV and practise swinging on them and then = CLICK = BOOM so use a safety cartridge in the chamber as otherwise you will tire out the steel on the firing pin which could go poop on you on a stalk then.
    Martin
    Last edited by csl; 02-10-2012 at 16:45.

8x57, you modest chap. As i recall you entered the running boar twice and won both times. But i did come second.

And I thoroughly enjoyed both days at the BASC shoot probably because of the company.

Gelert,

you really have to spend time on any of the Continental cinemas.

Stan