Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Buck on my new permission

First Buck on my new permission

Had a free evening so decided to have a wander round my permission. Arrived at 6.30 & bumped into the leaseholders straight away so was invited in for coffee & a chat. Managed to get away at 7.15 & went straight up to the high seat, left the seat cushion there & made my way around a couple of fields seeing only one Roe Doe.

Got back to the high seat just before 8.15 & 10 minutes later two quads came roaring across the fields & made a beeline for the gate just to my left. It was the gardeners kids from the main house, they didnít spot me until they had gone through the gate & turned up the lane behind me, they left three gates open in total so a word must be had with my friends the leaseholders to pass on to the owner.

I thought that would be it for the evening but 10 minutes later a doe came out of the wood 250 yards away & started feeding, I waited with baited breath for a Buck to appear but after 10 more minutes something spooked her & she headed off back into the wood. I decided to give it another half hour when another Doe appeared just in front & to my left, I got the glasses on her & almost immediately a Buck appeared behind her & they both started to move towards me, I pinged them at 95 yards when they stopped to graze.

The Buck was face on to me for 5 minutes or more & only fleetingly turned broadside on but I held the cross hairs on him hoping he would turn but by now my heart was pounding & I was glad of the shooting rail to take the weight of the Mannlicher. When he eventually turned I fired immediately but at that moment he decided to turn right round, my shot hit a bit low but he dropped like a stone. I reloaded & saw him pick himself up & stagger towards the wood I decided I would have to hit him again if he tried to go under the wire but he dropped again after 6 or 7 yards & didnít rise.

I decided not to wait so dropped down from the seat & crossed the field to him & he was still hanging on so I dispatched him with a round below the ear. My shot had entered just at the top of his foreleg, broken it & went on thorough causing massive blood loss as the grass was absolutely covered from where he was hit to where he dropped. When I gralloched him I found the 6.5x55 140 grain Federal Soft Point had destroyed the bottom of his heart.

So that was my first Roe from the new permission & my very first Roe Buck & Iím still buzzing as I write this, canít sleep & its 2.45. Heís hanging in my garage which is nice & cool & Iíll skin him in a few days or so.

Looking back I was very lucky what with him turning away just as I fired, if he had made the wood I would have lost him as the owner of the land doesnít want anyone entering so I must be very sure of my shots from now on.

Having his kidneys on toast with cream & mushrooms for breakfast today yum!

Chris

Nice write up and pictures!
    What scope have you got there on your Mannlicher?

Greg

new

Well done Chris a great start for your new patch
    Andy

First roe

Well done Chris, welcome to the "addiction" , I am pleased for you.

Recently attended a BDS talk on shot placement and was amazed at the difference that shooting from an angle,(i.e. high seat), makes and how to overcome it. It is fairly obvious but I certainly didn't realise the difference not having done much from high seats.

Best wishes - are you going to the CLA, Simon and I are doing Fri/Sat I think.

Tony

Well done

Well done mate

Nice pictures and write up - I bet you're still buzzing now!

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by glogin
    Nice write up and pictures!
    What scope have you got there on your Mannlicher?

Greg
    Hi Greg its a Swarovski 4-12x50 AV with a 4A reticle & Warne rings & bases.

I bought it from the States in August last year for £586.93 including duty & clearance fees, cheapest I could find in the UK was £746.00 plus shipping so I saved at least £159 which paid for the rings, bases & some ammo.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the info!
    I was looking around and the cheapest new Mannlicher in wood I found was over £1000.
    Seems to be good idea to import one!

Great piece of kit.

Greg

Re: First roe

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC
    Well done Chris, welcome to the "addiction" , I am pleased for you.

Recently attended a BDS talk on shot placement and was amazed at the difference that shooting from an angle,(i.e. high seat), makes and how to overcome it. It is fairly obvious but I certainly didn't realise the difference not having done much from high seats.

Best wishes - are you going to the CLA, Simon and I are doing Fri/Sat I think.

Tony
    Hi Tony

Would be very interested to hear about the talk on shot placement, what did they offer as a solution?

I hope to go to the CLA this year, are you & Simon staying over?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by glogin
    Chris,

Thanks for the info!
    I was looking around and the cheapest new Mannlicher in wood I found was over £1000.
    Seems to be good idea to import one!

Great piece of kit.

Greg
    I bought the scope when the £ was pretty strong against the $ Greg so it might not be such a good deal at the moment but saying that there are a few American dealers trading on E-Bay such as these two & they seem a good price as long as you don't get stung too much for import duty. If they send by US mail you are OK, if they use someone like UPS you will be charged.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swarovski-AV-3-10x42-Rifle-Scope-with-Plex-Reticle_W0QQitemZ350192674348QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item350192674348&_trksid=p32 86.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swarovski-4-12x50mm-Rifle-Scope-Austria-NIB_W0QQitemZ110383316385QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item110383316385&_trksid=p3286.c 0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|

As far as the Mannlicher goes I brought that second hand from Minsterley Ranges, it was a bargain at £550, Mannlicher Classic Half Stock in 6.5x55 with a 4 shot mag, 3 position safety, set trigger & screw cut ready for a moderator, I fitted a .30 cal ASE Jet Z Compact Mod. The cheapest Classic Wood Stock I've seen new is £975.

Chris

Yes there's a lot to be said for David etc. up at Ministery Ranges - nice guys and well stocked when l went (which was actually to pick up a SbS .410 for the lad!) but ended up spending another £300 on a T8 and ammo etc!

T