Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice/opinions required please. Sudden death of young dog!

Advice/opinions required please. Sudden death of young dog!

Hi,

I've been a member on here for a while but haven't posted for a bit.

Some will remember that about 18 months ago I got mtg first gwp pup. He has been the best dog I could ever hope for. Clever funny loyal and loving. Unfortunately he had an accident at the weekend, where he ran into a tree and smashed 2 vertebrae in his neck. We had MRI and CT scans which just concluded he had done irrepairable damage. We had our 18 month boy put to sleep yesterday. He was with me every minute of every day and had just got perfect. As you can imagine my wife and I are distraught. He has left a huge hole in our lives.

The advice I need is from people who have been through similar. Would you get a new pup? When would you get a pup again?

I'm just feeling very lost as he was everything to me, he was such a special boy. My whole world. RIP Finley.

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Thanks
    Rich

Hi Rich,

dare i say i know what its like, and yous is a very sad tail,

you will get another dog at some point because you both have had so much love and fun from Finley

only you will know when the time is right.

Regards Tony

Quote Originally Posted by cookingfat View Post
    Hi Rich,

dare i say i know what its like, and yous is a very sad tail,

you will get another dog at some point because you both have had so much love and fun from Finley

only you will know when the time is right.

Regards Tony
    Good advice Tony! You wont ever replace him but you might be able to give and receive the love and affection of another.

Paul

sorry for your loss , my girlfriend lost her 13 year old dog the day she was due to pick up her new lab pup , the new pup has helped with her grief but grief is a very personal thing , only you and your wife will know when the time is right for you
    when you stop learning you stop being challenged

Start planning for your new pup now, it will give you something positive to focus on. atb Tim

Been through similiar, getting another pup wont replace your loss,but would be a positive move,you will KNOW yourselves when time is right, AOB

Echo what Tony and others have said.

We are each individuals and no judgement on anyone, but for me dogs are a part of the family and the bond is very close. Grief is a horrible thing - but it serves an important purpose and is very much a part of being able to move on in time. Dont dwell on it, but neither rush it.

A new dog will be just that a new dog - not a replacement. You will know best when the time is right for that.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Very sad story.

All I would say is that having other dogs in the kennels I think makes coping with loosing one easier. The gap you describe is there but not as big as it would be if there was suddenly no dog in your life.

As Tony says, only you will know when the time is right but for me personally, I would probably be looking for a pup almost immediately...

As has been said, a new dog does not replace a lost one, it gives a purpose back each day in carrying on with a routine that has suddenly stopped.

So sorry to hear of your loss through a freak accident. Only you will know when your ready but planning for a new puppy might help take your minds of things. Very sad.

Bloody awful when you loose a dog.
    Get another one quick; not as a replacement, but it takes so long to get them where you want them that the earlier you start.....