Advice/opinions required please. Sudden death of young dog!

Dickyboy

Hi,

I've been a member on here for a while but haven't posted for a bit.

Some will remember that about 18 months ago I got mtg first gwp pup. He has been the best dog I could ever hope for. Clever funny loyal and loving. Unfortunately he had an accident at the weekend, where he ran into a tree and smashed 2 vertebrae in his neck. We had MRI and CT scans which just concluded he had done irrepairable damage. We had our 18 month boy put to sleep yesterday. He was with me every minute of every day and had just got perfect. As you can imagine my wife and I are distraught. He has left a huge hole in our lives.

The advice I need is from people who have been through similar. Would you get a new pup? When would you get a pup again?

I'm just feeling very lost as he was everything to me, he was such a special boy. My whole world. RIP Finley.

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Rich

Hi Rich,

dare i say i know what its like, and yous is a very sad tail,

you will get another dog at some point because you both have had so much love and fun from Finley

only you will know when the time is right.

Regards Tony

Hi Rich,

dare i say i know what its like, and yous is a very sad tail,

you will get another dog at some point because you both have had so much love and fun from Finley

only you will know when the time is right.

Regards Tony

Good advice Tony! You wont ever replace him but you might be able to give and receive the love and affection of another.

Paul

sorry for your loss , my girlfriend lost her 13 year old dog the day she was due to pick up her new lab pup , the new pup has helped with her grief but grief is a very personal thing , only you and your wife will know when the time is right for you

Been through similiar, getting another pup wont replace your loss,but would be a positive move,you will KNOW yourselves when time is right, AOB

Echo what Tony and others have said.

We are each individuals and no judgement on anyone, but for me dogs are a part of the family and the bond is very close. Grief is a horrible thing - but it serves an important purpose and is very much a part of being able to move on in time. Dont dwell on it, but neither rush it.

A new dog will be just that a new dog - not a replacement. You will know best when the time is right for that.

Very sad story.

All I would say is that having other dogs in the kennels I think makes coping with loosing one easier. The gap you describe is there but not as big as it would be if there was suddenly no dog in your life.

As Tony says, only you will know when the time is right but for me personally, I would probably be looking for a pup almost immediately...

As has been said, a new dog does not replace a lost one, it gives a purpose back each day in carrying on with a routine that has suddenly stopped.

So sorry to hear of your loss through a freak accident. Only you will know when your ready but planning for a new puppy might help take your minds of things. Very sad.

Bloody awful when you loose a dog.
Get another one quick; not as a replacement, but it takes so long to get them where you want them that the earlier you start.....

All I can say is that the last time I went through thius I said that I wouldn't get another dog for at least 6 months...........I lasted about 6 weeks as i was totally lost without a dog,oh and 6 months after that I got another one for company for the first,so I guess what I am saying is yyou will know when it is right for you.

RIP Finlay..............Martin

Thank you very much for all your replies!

I was feeling guilty for considering thinking of another dog so soon after his death but if there was one thing I can take from his life is to live every moment to the fullest. He was just so fun all the time, so happy and so full of the joys of spring. All of our friends and we, have never met a dog with so much character and love to go with his boundless joy.

Thank you again for all kind words. We have had many talks and we hope to have a pup from the same breeder (or at least the same line, Trudvang)

We will not rush as we didn't before and ended up with more of a dog than we could have ever dreamed of. (i have had many many dogs prior to him)

He would not want us to sit and mope but to embrace life and live it to the max, even if he can't now be here to share it with us.

I am sure he was living by the mantra, Live fast, Love hard, Die young" and he did all of them!

With your help we have come to realise Finley will never be forgotten or replaced but he will live in us.

Just need to take the time, however long it is, to find the right dog or for him to find us but we will keep our eyes open right away for the one that carrys his special little sparkle, we don't want to miss the right dog for the sake of dwelling what could have been.

RIP Finn, Gone but never forgotten!

Thanks again to all of you who have helped me find my way again, you have no idea how much you have helped!

Richard, Susan, Buzz and the memory of our beloved Finley

Hope you and your wife find what you need. As others have said you will know when you're ready. Must be so difficult loosing one so young after all the hard work that goes in and you become so attached. Had to say goodbye to one of my own on sunday but knew the day was coming so had time to prepare, still no easier. We all get so much from our dogs, even the hardest men must shed a tear or two when they have to go. I wish you all the best in your next bundle of fun.

This is a very sad story, all I can add to what the others have already said is get another dog sooner rather than later. I lost my first GSP a couple of years ago and was devastated, we went to the GSP rescue centre and chose another one within a week and we've not regretted it once (unless you count the time a couple of weeks ago when she ate half a sack of deer food and then pooed everywhere!).

Keep your chin up, remember the good times and get back in the saddle.

Best wishes,
Glyn.

Hi Rich, Very sad loss. I have a friend who lost a dog just the same way. It ran into a tree and it broke its back. He also lost a dog when it got hit by a train. He lost a dog to poison. When one of his friends was starting to drive a way after a visit another dog he had ran forward and he said it was just like the dog wanted to end his own life because it put its head under the wheel of the car as it pulled forward.

When these things happen you just have to keep going.

Rich Im real sorry to read this but the first post says it all.

You will never forget or replace Fin. Don't feel guilty for thinking of getting another already.

Atb Carl

Think many people have been there, my story started 2 years ago when my loyal JR terrier was diagnosed with a serious heart complaint, the valve in his heart had gone and we were told about 6 months and he would be gone. he was a working terrier and a good one, and loved fishing. he came everywhere with me. and now he was doomed to the sofa. I had to sneak out shooting so he didnt see me go and was on 8 tablets a day. he outlived the vets expectations and became known as dead dog walking and came shooting all beit in a ruck sack on my back.

May 16 th this year he gained weight and stopped eating a trip to the vets and a few checks and he asked me to return the following day where he did even more checks then he came through and said come in to my office, the lump in my throat was biting and when he said he had a lump on his liver the size of a cricket ball i froze, i asked what the options were and he said there wernt any i wanted him to remove it and he said that it would not be fair to have a heart not working and half a liver if he survived the operation. I agreed to have him put down the vet said it could be done in a day or so, I said how can you say to a dog and look at him so I agreed it should be done there and then. I held him tight and the tears rolled down my face as I thanked him and said goodbye as i felt his breathing getting slower and slower and the heart that 2 years before was bad refused to stop but as his lifeless body relaxed in my tight grip it beated for the last time and then silence as I layed him down. he was bured in my garden and i speak to him every day and I felt really guilty, he could not eat why should I he could not go out why should I.

3 weeks later we were at a show and a lady with a working cocker came past and I happend to say what nice dogs, she said they were from huntingdon and said the guy who bred them had a litter as she spoke to him a few days ago but only had one left. I was not interested but my wife rang and on the way home she showed me a picture on he r phone of the last puppy a brown bundle of fun. I thought all night I kept thinking my dog is lying not even cold and im replacing him, I did not want to see the pup but out of the blue I rang and a mins later we were on the M25 heading north. 2 hours I was there and as much as i wanted him there was something in my head saying let me get cold before you replace me. but I was nt replacing him I never will I just got another dog and boy did it help. the pup has so much energy and gave me great comfort and to see him sit by my old dogs grave sort of put the last bit of the puzzle as an acceptance.

I got him on jubilee day and Im a big Genesis fan so now Duke is the new love of my life in doggy world and me old mate will never be forgotton.

go for it and you wont look back,

Back