Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: still no bucks

still no bucks

Well ive been out two more times since i last posted, and guess what still no bucks. This morning was a little better I saw a doe with two young and one was a young buck but as my luck has it that was the one with no back stop. so 2009 season 36 days in and still no bucks. my friend the keeper was in the high seat i was in this morning only two days ago and he saw two young bucks and a trophy buck chasing them, my luck has to change. I think im going to try again this week end I,ll let you know how i get on..

Don't worry you are not alone, I was going today but there is high wind, horizontal rain and I heard the snow word on the forecast this morning. I can wait for the right conditions, I'm old enough for that now

John

Just the same whats happening to me.
    2 outings to good Roe country, plenty of does, but not real amount of bucks yet.
    Role on the rut!

Yep, same here. Since coming back from Martins place i`ve not seen any bucks.
    Only got one buck to my name so far this year.
    basil.

I think it's just normal for this time of year. They are there but you just don't see them. The woods are full of new growth and plenty of food for a Buck so why come out if you don't have to? They will be reserving energy prior to rutting.
    Does you will see everywhere as they are generally feeding for 'three' and gorge themselves out on the nutrient rich crops and new growth. You also tend to see them out for an extra feed in the middle of the day. Probably best to reserve energy yourself until July!

I must be the exception to the rule,because I have seen Bucks(in the plural)each time I've been out for the last 5-6 times,I have purposely left a few that are hopefully going to get busy during the rut,as they are very good specimens,which is quite rare for here.Good luck on the weekend Bunnydan..................'M'

p.s. here is one that I do have an eye out for,a good cull Buck with a contorted head,would look good on the wall........

sorry double posted.........'M'

@ all who seem to see significantly more does than bucks on their stalking grounds:

ask yourself the questions whether the doe cull is mansged properly - or not at all! Had the same problem with my Gloucestershire cocnession: when I started there, for about 10 years does were not shot at all. Thus the buck/doe ratio was about 1 to 5. Therefor the rut was i simple terms lousy: bucks not answering to the call, since a buck only answers to the whistle when he is searching for a doe. If there are too many does around, who all want to be mated, the situation of a searching buck does not occur.
    Since we reduced the sex ratio to app. 1/1, trophy quality and body weight significantly increased due to less stress on the bucks in the rutting season, and we saw more bucks altogether.

Martin
    what a fantastic looking buck
    carefull though
    as you might get a few pm's about him
    just tell them a grand is not enough

nice looking piece that will look on your wall mate
    ATB

Re: still no bucks

Quote Originally Posted by bunnydan
    Well ive been out two more times since i last posted, and guess what still no bucks. This morning was a little better I saw a doe with two young and one was a young buck but as my luck has it that was the one with no back stop. so 2009 season 36 days in and still no bucks. my friend the keeper was in the high seat i was in this morning only two days ago and he saw two young bucks and a trophy buck chasing them, my luck has to change. I think im going to try again this week end I,ll let you know how i get on..
    why the desperation
    try looking more for signs of bucks in the earea like a bit of fresh fraying and territorial marking scrapes
    if you can find these, then you kow a buck is in the area , just need to take time to spot them and choose wether that is what you want to take
    what you then take is personel choice
    but don't worry
    as if you hav does you will soon see bucks laws of nature here
    but walk slower and look a bit more
    sometimes the key
    ATB