Thread: Has anyone done any of the Lantra courses on rifle handling/fox control/shooting etc?

Has anyone done any of the Lantra courses on rifle handling/fox control/shooting etc?

I've seen them advertised, but then none of the test centres seems to say they do them - do they really exist?

I have had dealings with Lantra, and I know that they are tied in with the St Hubert's Club training which seemed quite proffesional. I spoke to them regarding approval of courses that I run and although helpful, I got the impression that they wanted the content and were very happy to charge lots of money for accreditation. I think the courses do exist on paper but the only one I have heard about is I think run in connection with Corrinium Range(HME). He may be able to help. I eventually joined forces with a college that had Lantra approval.
    Last edited by Jagdmatch; 02-10-2012 at 12:03.

Yes I have done the LANTRA L2 center-fire/fox control course they are run by a gent who is based on then Glos./Worc. border and the courses are run at various locations, I did mine at the Criggion Estate in Wales, failed some modules, and then completed the course a few weeks later at the Corinium Range in Cirencester (Glos.).
    Frankly, the practical side of the course is tough, (night lamping, range estimation in the dark, marksmanship) and aimed at professionals working in estate vermin control. The theory side is not too hard. But then for some it may be the other way around

For me, as an amateur, the outcome has been that it greatly helped me getting deer stalking permissions and I felt it was an excellent course to do between the DSC1 and DSC2 (I am doing the DSC2 now).
    I also do a lot LESS lamping for foxes now as am so much more aware of what can go wrong and simply feel quite uncomfortable going out at night with a few mates who do not understand the safety issues when lamping from a vehicle.
    I will PM you the contact details of my local instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    Yes I have done the LANTRA L2 center-fire/fox control course they are run by a gent who is based on then Glos./Worc. border and the courses are run at various locations, I did mine at the Criggion Estate in Wales, failed some modules, and then completed the course a few weeks later at the Corinium Range in Cirencester (Glos.).
    Frankly, the practical side of the course is tough, (night lamping, range estimation in the dark, marksmanship) and aimed at professionals working in estate vermin control. The theory side is not too hard. But then for some it may be the other way around

For me, as an amateur, the outcome has been that it greatly helped me getting deer stalking permissions and I felt it was an excellent course to do between the DSC1 and DSC2 (I am doing the DSC2 now).
    I also do a lot LESS lamping for foxes now as am so much more aware of what can go wrong and simply feel quite uncomfortable going out at night with a few mates who do not understand the safety issues when lamping from a vehicle.
    I will PM you the contact details of my local instructor.
    May I ask you what the cost of the course was?...Thank you

Just out of interest, how did it assist with Deer Permission? Reason I ask is that I struggle with obtaining permission in general (not a very good deer knocker)

Cheers

Joe

Eric Hamburger, Criggion Estate is in Shropshire how was John
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

To answer a few of the questions:

The cost was around 295 for a 2-day and 1 night course, incl assessment fees and documentation.
    It helped with getting permissions because it shows to farmers and landowners that you have a formal qualification with firearms and therefore creates trust and confidence.
    Oops yes Criggion is in Shropshire not Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    Just out of interest, how did it assist with Deer Permission? Reason I ask is that I struggle with obtaining permission in general (not a very good deer knocker)

Cheers

Joe
    Joe, try my approach - offer farmers that you will stalk their land for free! All farmers like the word 'free' and some are not necessarily aware that others would pay for the privilage. However, don't expect this to be high-quality stalking land...but we all have to start somewhere.