Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Productive morning.....

Productive morning.....

I was out last night after reds, Ive been hearing plenty of roaring for about 10 days now, but nothing showed itself from where I was sat although I did however spy a nice sized stag way too far off and too close to being dark, so I left it be.
    I Decided to head out again this morning to see if I could find the one from last night, and sure enough, in the same place as before with 2 hinds he was stood just below the crown of a birch tree. I covered the 400m or so to get myself in a good position for a shot, and then waited for him to turn broadside on. Perfect chest shot, he ran 20m, hopped a fence, circled a few times, returned over the fence again (much to my gratitude as I'd have had a pig of a job otherwise!) then I lost site as he stumbled round the corner of some scrub. I followed at a distance and was pleased to see him flat out next to another fence......1 stag in the bag.

I knelt down over him and began to gralloch, but I hadn't even finished cutting off his balls when a loud roar directly in front of me made me jump.......
    A similar sized stag was about 60m in front of me and heading in to see what all the fuss was about. I stopped what I was doing and got the rifle up and on the sticks, still kneeling behind the first stag.
    This was another large bodied animal, but antler wise, he had relatively long thinner tines, and although a decent head he was nothing compared to some in the area so with a bark from me to make him stand still, off went another clean chest shot. Again, he came perilously close to hopping the fence (I should say, these fences are all within my permission, so not boundaries, but there would be no way of accessing him other than by cutting the wire, so not desireable!) He stumbled around for a minute before dropping to the deck.
    2 in the bag, the easy work done, I headed back to get the truck. I pulled up alongside the furthest stag to drag him back to the other one, and to my horror, the winch decided not to work!!!! My greed may have cost me dearly....... Fortunately not, it was a spade connector that had come disconnected, much to my relief, so on with the gralloch and then ham fisted efforts to get both carcasses in the back of my pick-up. This is the first time I've had two fully grown stags in the back of the truck and its a squeeze! But with a lot of swearing, and me ending up covered in blood, I managed it.
    I was somewhat pleased and suprised however when they weighed in at the game dealer a combined weight of 292.5kg. One was clearly slightly larger than the other, but even plit down the middle, they exceed the largest stags in terms of body weight I've had off this ground. I would guess that one was around the 150-155kg mark my biggest previously being 144kg empty.
    Happy days!

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nice bit of cash in the slush fund there!!Well Done
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Account Suspended
    well done happy days

Quote Originally Posted by glogin View Post
    Well done! Any pictures?
    Attachment 19840 This is stag number 1, didn't photograph the second, very light weight to his lower tines, nice and even until you get to his third tine where they start to lose shape and on one side it plits into two. Also the crown is really long and not the typical nest shape you expect, young animal, I would hazzard 4 years, teeth aren't worn much at all, good beasty but they get much larger than this. Cracking carcass weight, although I think this was the smaller of the two in kg. There was a 22pointer shot on neighbouring land last year that was aged on teeth rings as only being 5.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Attachment 19840 This is stag number 1, didn't photograph the second, very light weight to his lower tines, nice and even until you get to his third tine where they start to lose shape and on one side it plits into two. Also the crown is really long and not the typical nest shape you expect, young animal, I would hazzard 4 years, teeth aren't worn much at all, good beasty but they get much larger than this. Cracking carcass weight, although I think this was the smaller of the two in kg. There was a 22pointer shot on neighbouring land last year that was aged on teeth rings as only being 5.
    Your cull stag from down south is bigger than any Scottish stag I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by glogin View Post
    Your cull stag from down south is bigger than any Scottish stag I've seen

Ah, but you have the wild scottish scenary to go with your deer, that makes up for size me thinks......TBF, there are plenty smaller who could've come out and may well do yet, but then you get on to the whole debate over shooting youngsters V shooting animals in their prime, a mix of all is what I aim for and generally achieve.

Good call (going back for a look see) well done.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Ah, but you have the wild scottish scenary to go with your deer, that makes up for size me thinks.......
    If you can see through the mist, rain and midge net

Well done, thanks for sharing