Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too Old?

Too Old?

Hey every one, thought a forum like this would be a good start to get some strong advice.

i am a 24 year old male with a strong farming background. but in recent years i have let the years slip by and have made some stupid mistakes with career choices ect..

as i said i am 24 and have been Landscape gardening for the last 6 years. im not happy with my line of work and never have been. my biggest regret was not to go to sparsholt or what ever to study game management.

through out my winters i have been beating and shooting a fair bit but these past few weeks i have really been considering a change of career into gamekeeping. my biggest concern is am i too old to get into this now. in 2 weeks time i will be droppings a days work to start helping out local keepers to maybe 'get my foot in the door'

with 2 cousins very successful keepers one head stalker at woburn Abbey and the other a keeper at Sandringham estate i have some good connections that could possibly benefit me.

so any of you wise gentlemen and ladies of course have some good advice?

many thanks.

i think youve already got your contacts m8 by the sound of it, hope it all works out for ya

ATB

Dave

Well with contacts at the estates you mentioned surely something may be available or they may know something in feb / march most posts are now full .my own lad did a 1 year countryside management course and a 2 year fishery management course at sparsholt and didnt get a position in the industry.
    dont give up and working on a game farm will always give you very valuable rearing experience and a step on the ladder .
    i got into keepering later in life and only wished I had stuck to my guns and found a position when I left school ,be prepared to relocate .
    good luck

Norma

thanks dave and thanks for the advice norma

Well I'm 31 mate and at the moment I'm trying to break into an outdoors career having worked in an office for the past 13 years... So you're in a much better position than me

In all seriousness I've been told I'm too old for a few gamekeeping jobs already, as they're "looking for someone in their early to mid twenties to grow into the role". So basically you've chosen a great time to get into this!

I'll PM you as may have an opportunity you may be interested in!

oh brilliant cheers bunydoom... i see your from chichester also do you beat any where local? im from angmering/arundel

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeGunn View Post
    Hey every one, thought a forum like this would be a good start to get some strong advice.

i am a 24 year old male with a strong farming background. but in recent years i have let the years slip by and have made some stupid mistakes with career choices ect..

as i said i am 24 and have been Landscape gardening for the last 6 years. im not happy with my line of work and never have been. my biggest regret was not to go to sparsholt or what ever to study game management.

through out my winters i have been beating and shooting a fair bit but these past few weeks i have really been considering a change of career into gamekeeping. my biggest concern is am i too old to get into this now. in 2 weeks time i will be droppings a days work to start helping out local keepers to maybe 'get my foot in the door'

with 2 cousins very successful keepers one head stalker at woburn Abbey and the other a keeper at Sandringham estate i have some good connections that could possibly benefit me.

many thanks.

Forget it mate..at 24 your over the hill..better to buy a pipe and a pair of tartan slippers.......

No, you're not too old, but don't put off making the decision until you are. I used to beat for a shoot owner who was at the forefront of large scale commercial shooting in the UK; I spoke to him a few years ago, and he said he didn't employ teenagers or people in the early 20's as keepers - he preferred them to be a bit older and more mature. Your background and connections should also help you.

At 24 you still have the rest of your life ahead of you, you're still young so go for it!
    Definitely NOT too old.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeGunn View Post

many thanks.

Go for it,age in your case has worked for you.....you have made the mistakes and learnt,if i was looking to employ someone you would be sounding good to me........