Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A timely reminder?

A timely reminder?

With the loss recently of a fellow stalker it might be a good time to highlight the symptoms of hypothermia not hyperthermia, now this is not to say this was the cause of his passing to better hunting grounds but it is a good time to bring it up while minds are focus on our own mortality.

I know earlier in the red stag season I was lying on a hilltop watching a tree line at last light, I had two base layers two fleeces and two jackets on and despite it being the middle of September I was shivering with cold. I have a couple of extra fleeces packed for tomorrow’s trip.

I know I got in a bad way while stalking in NZ Mountains in 2002, it was only the fact that my mate had a lot of experience in mountaineering and recognised the early signs that he sorted me out pretty quickly.

Here is a good link, while it is not specific to our sport it gives good advice on how to spot the symptoms.
    http://everythingoutdoors.co.uk/hypothermia-facts-causes-treatment/

ATB

Tahr
    Last edited by Thar; 05-10-2012 at 11:56.

Thanks Thar, although i am aware of the symptoms it is a very timely reminder as i will shortly head off to a very cold Montana in November. Good link.
    Cheers
    Richard

Hyperthermia or hypothermia?

AHHP,

The link is what matters. It's correct.

I've climbed in Nepal four times with all the modern gear and never had a problem with cold, only altitude.

When I was a 17 year old Para I've been pushing up a snow covered hill and "boiling". No way was cold an issue but I started seeing colours along physical junction lines and was euphoric. I was manifestly not "cold". We stopped for a breather and at the end I "couldn't get up".
    An hour in a maggot with a buddy and we could all get back down the hill with me being "driven" by my mates.
    A pickup back to shelter and an 18 hour sleep....
    I never felt cold.

Nowadays I enjoy the finer things in life but always know that yesterday is not today. All the mountainers that I've been with have died on the mountain. The two self employed builders that I shoot/stalk with are both now crippled by "dropped on foot syndrome".

Maybe that's why they call me Jonah.....

Stan

Stan,

You're absolutely right; piffling details don't matter.

Alex

P.S. What action should be taken on a hypoglycaemic episode?

Quote Originally Posted by AHPP View Post
    P.S. What action should be taken on a hypoglycaemic episode?
    Eat something sugary or just eat something.

If you are diabetic or have problems with blood sugar you could carry some of these : Glucogel

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Sorry. I meant hyperglycaemic episode. Silly me.

What happens if someone experiencing a hyperglycaemic episode is fed something sugary?

Quote Originally Posted by AHPP View Post
    Sorry. I meant hyperglycaemic episode. Silly me.

What happens if someone experiencing a hyperglycaemic episode is fed something sugary?
    That means high blood sugar. Is that what you mean?

We seem to have shifted from hypothermia somewhat.......

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Hypo is low
    Hyper is high
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Hypo is low
    Hyper is high
    That's how i remember it too.
    Cheers
    Richard