Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stag with no antlers?

Stag with no antlers?

I saw a stag recently which looked, like it was quite old, however it had no antlers.

It would appear on closer inspection that they had grown, then been broken off at almost the exact same place on each antler just above the corenets.

Is this unusual? Its teeth were very worn, so im assming that it was a old deer?

It can happen to old red stag, well documented if you look at any decent red deer book, but I have never seen one. I guess I just never seen really old one. Wondering whether there is a special term for it in English? Direct translation from Polish would be a "monk", would make very interesting trophy. DO you have a photo by any chance?

No id left the camera at home and was too caked in blood for my touch screen phone to work. I may go and try to find the head if i get some spare time. It may not be a good trophy as it has a 6.5mm hole in it!

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    Hummel maybe?
    Thanks David.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Though unclear in the OP, if the antlers have actually grown and subsequently broken off then I wouldn't call it a hummel. If there were only coronets, or "button" antlers, then it may well be.

I believe they're known in the West Country as Nott stags.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

in danish we call it a 'munk', or 'hummel' here I believe. ie a stag that is fully sexual and grown but only grows pedicles and no 'antlers' as such. in 'my' book it's a shoot-on-sight policy even though some argue offspring are not necessarily hummels.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    in danish we call it a 'munk', or 'hummel' here I believe. ie a stag that is fully sexual and grown but only grows pedicles and no 'antlers' as such. in 'my' book it's a shoot-on-sight policy even though some argue offspring are not necessarily hummels.
    I always thought they are old stags that used to have "normal" antlers.

Quote Originally Posted by glogin View Post
    I always thought they are old stags that used to have "normal" antlers.
    not always the case, I have culled a few, both young and old - mind, the majority are older, whether that's because they stop setting antlers or because they are easier to identify as stags is a different matter. I think a lot of young stags that are hummels get a get-out-of-jail-free card because people don't want to screw up and shoot a hind in the wrong season if it's not very obvious that it's a stag at distance, in the rain, wind, etc.

just my thoughts.

True hummels dont grow antlers to break off as mentioned above.
    Its the lack of outlet for the huge energy consumption that antler growth ordinarily requires that allows Hummels to often have significantly heavier/bigger bodies.

no buttons or spikes, like this: (from a post on this site)

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/t...hooting026.jpg
    Last edited by bewsher500; 03-10-2012 at 15:15.