Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: code of practice on deer management

code of practice on deer management

In other post I saw a mention about the above.

As I never heard of it I Googled the subject and discovered that it is a Scottish set of regulations.

Looking thought it I see no mention at all about deerdogs.

Is there a reason why the use of deerdogs is not mentioned at all in this code?

What you going to do about it !! They obviously dont think we need a trained deer dog

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    What you going to do about it !! They obviously dont think we need a trained deer dog
    I was not planning to do much! It was more curiosity. Somebody up north should ask the powers that be what they plan to do advise people how to recover wounded deer.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by barongcw View Post
    I was not planning to do much! It was more curiosity. Somebody up north should ask the powers that be what they plan to do advise people how to recover wounded deer.

Read the thing properly... please? .... before your tangled underwear causes you an embarrassment. You wouldn't want the sweet ladies at Great Glen House making you feel like a "silly billy", now would you?

http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/culling_dogs.aspx

There's two pages on "dog use", same amount of space as "shot placement" and twice as much space as devoted to "marksmanship".

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Read the thing properly... please? .... before your tangled underwear causes you an embarrassment. You wouldn't want the sweet ladies at Great Glen House making you feel like a "silly billy", now would you?

There's two pages on "dog use", same amount of space as "shot placement" and twice as much space as devoted to "marksmanship".
    Thank you for this, I'll certainly look at it.

But I was referring to the official "Code of Practice on Deer Management" as published by the SNH. In that official document I cannot find anything about deer dogs.

Account Suspended
    Thank you for this, I'll certainly look at it.

But I was referring to the official "Code of Practice on Deer Management" as published by the SNH. In that official document I cannot find anything about deer dogs.
    Check page five of said Code (which, incidentally, is really an adjunct to the WANE Act)... there it references you to the Best Practice Guide, just like wot I did.

Yes, I agree with you this note covers deer dogs.

If you happen to know the author please tell him that the word "Torvebeller" does not exist. It should be "Totverbeller".

As for the advice given as to how to follow up a wounded deer. My continental teachers would commit hari kiri if they read it but that is not the subject of this post.

Check page five of said Code (which, incidentally, is really an adjunct to the WANE Act)... there it references you to the Best Practice Guide, just like wot I did.
    The page 5 I looked at has nothing about deerdogs, probably we are looking at different versions.

And do not forget you are talking to a curious yet puzzled alien. What is the WANE Act?

And in your view should deer dogs pass some kind of officially approved exam before they can call themselves "suitably trained dogs"? A DSC for dogs?

Account Suspended
    Yes, I agree with you this note covers deer dogs.

If you happen to know the author please tell him that the word "Torvebeller" does not exist. It should be "Totverbeller".

As for the advice given as to how to follow up a wounded deer. My continental teachers would commit hari kiri if they read it but that is not the subject of this post.
    S'full o' spelling errors.

As for your continental dog training and tracking techniques, they are a thing to marvel at but tell me, if you can, what proportion of trailing is required after bad shots at properly stalked beasts, ie. stalked and shot in stationary condition (a la UK style) as opposed to the number of wounded (badly shot) driven game that need to be tracked?

I'm confident you horror at the lack of dog use and skill here is only surpassed by the horror with which shooting running game is traditionally regarded this side of the Noordzee.

Account Suspended
    The wane Act is

The... Wildlife and Natural Environment Act (Scotland) 2011..... <-------- New Law

The Deer Management Code of which you speak is a brief explanation of this new law as it pertains to the management of deer, or more precisely as it pertains to the responsibilities now imposed on various people by the new law.

The code is fairly brief and relates mainly to that which is new but it also makes the point of informing you of other law and best practice guidance which you must refer to yourself.

I hope this post helps you grasp the situation better.