Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boar Hunting statistics from Germany

Boar Hunting statistics from Germany

HI chaps,

I had a conversation with a hunting buddy of mine from Germany 3 weeks ago, after he sent me a pic of the latest Boar he had shot.
    I was interested to get an idea how successful one might expect to be if up to the mark, so I politely asked him how many Boar he had shot to date this season, knowing full well he was an avid hunter and probably went out 2 or 3 times a week, here is his response - unedited.

Hello Mike,
    since 1st of May this ist the 3rd boar I got. Meanwhile I got 12 roe bucks.
    I am out in the wood about three ore four times a week. So it took me about 80 times to get 15 animals or 30 times to get one boar.
    The problem is not to see a boar, the problem is to know that the boar You see has no young boars (Frischlinge). And this is the difficulty in the thicket I hunt in. So I hunt only with daylight.
    For example last tuesday I´ve seen 3 female boars and 10 youngsters below 5 kg. For we dont hunt these lightweights and no mother boar I went home without any bag.
    Thats hunting!

My friend (a guy who dont work, he only hunts) is out every day, also in moonlight and early morning.
    He shot in the same time in the same area 16 boars.
    So if You count the days, it took hin about 120 days. That is about 8 days per one boar.

You know that hunting is very easy. You only have to bee at the right place at the right time ;-)

Waidmannsheil
    Manfred

Hi,
    I replied to a post about a UK boar hunt on offer saying basically this info and it was removed as supposedly being not fair on the trade members advert.
    I just think that boar hunting in UK & Germany is only possible if you have the permission and lots of time ie being a local to be able to put the time in to be in the right place at the right time.
    Well :- driven boar which is practised in most European countries is a totally different kettle of fish as to success rates but I believe it is illegal in the UK.
    Is that so?
    Martin

Not so much illegal as traditionally just not done.

It is illegal to hunt in the UK,but it is legal to "flush" animals to guns.......so which is driven boar??..........I am sure we would all wish we had enough for a driven shoot too!!!!

If you could do it there the countryside would need to be clear of lookers-on which we get lots of here in Germany and they really bugger up your field of fire even though it is a known way of hunting here. Just imagine an anti thinking they are being smart by doing some disruption they could end up a little ill.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    If you could do it there the countryside would need to be clear of lookers-on which we get lots of here in Germany and they really bugger up your field of fire even though it is a known way of hunting here. Just imagine an anti thinking they are being smart by doing some disruption they could end up a little ill.
    Martin
    Yeah,lead poisoning isnt good!!!!

It would never happen in Scotland if thats the case because the public have the right to roam, to each his own
    but driven hunting would not be for me, I have an open invitation to go and hunt bore on the Continent, but have never taken up the oppertunity, the level of wounding even if the animal is eventually found does not appeal to me.

The level of wounding is quite low because the hunters practise often in the shooting cinemas.
    But yes some do get wounded and sadly this is still the most efficient method of management of what is now becoming a pest species from an agricultural viewpoint.
    Martin

Hello Martin,
    Du kennst sicher die Anzahl der Schüsse und die Zahl der erlegten Stücke auf den Jagden?
    Hello Martin,
    i think you know the number of shoot´s an the number of killed Bore
    How high is the number of woundering at your driven hunt?

Bernhard

Of course it has also to do with the number of animals that are present in the area and the time and skill you take to make a good basis for a shot (like building up feeding stations and working continiously to get it set up perfectly, doing an all nighter and not wander of after sunset).
    This year we have an abundance of wild boar at our German permission. This as a result of the mass quantity of nuts that where in the woods, so lot of offspring. A big part of our permission is arable land surrounded by woodland. Present the farmers have / had loads of maize standing. This attracts the wild boar from miles and miles around.
    Normally we shoot around 30 boar a season. Last year was a bad year with " only 16" . This season we already shot around 22, and the best months are still to come. Luckily this year all our guests took a wild boar in a 4 day time frame, and some had the opportunity to shoot more. We see groups up to 60 wild boar, and seeing several groups at one night.

Roughly i would say that i myself, over the years, have shot a wild boar every 8 outings.

On the driven hunting; 1 shot out of 3 is usually a hit / kill with driven hunting. Organizers of driven hunts urge their participants to practise, practise and practise some more, in most stately organised driven hunts you will need proof you went to a shooting cinema and scored some points. And you have people where every shot is a kill, and people who cant hit a barn door when its for real.