Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun ownership - how many

Gun ownership - how many

Interestingly I was watching the TV last night, when a topic came up over privately owned firearm ownership, the figures given were quite interesting.

Population of Hungary approx 10 million. Private gun ownership 0.25million.
    Population of Austria approx 8.5 million. Private gun ownership 2.5 million.

Looking at the site http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/re...land-and-wales I was quite interested to see the UK ranked 22 in the world. Not bad surprisingly as anti’s seem to be more active in the UK than in Europe, and laws around guns are probably one of the most stringent in the world.

According to the link there are 3.4 million firearms in civilian ownership in England and Wales of which only 1.8 million are registered!!

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    According to the link there are 3.4 million firearms in civilian ownership in England and Wales of which only 1.8 million are registered!!

Ian.
    That must include air weapons, otherwise it makes frigthening reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    That must include air weapons, otherwise it makes frigthening reading!
    I believe that the way the stats are collated, a Moderator is also counted as a firearm.

Bob

A moderator would still be classed as a registered firearm.
    The issue is the difference in the number of firearms in civilian ownership and those registered - a difference of 1.6million

The issue is the difference in the number of firearms in civilian ownership and those registered - a difference of 1.6million
    That is a scary figure, surely the stats must be out do you think?
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

This may be STBO but how does anyone know how many 'unregistered' firearms (of whatever type or specification) there are in the UK? Yet another case of lies, damn lies and statistics?

That must include air weapons, otherwise it makes frightening reading!
    Agreed - I've read that there are between 1 and 2 million airguns held in the UK, so those figures would be about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    This may be STBO but how does anyone know how many 'unregistered' firearms (of whatever type or specification) there are in the UK? Yet another case of lies, damn lies and statistics?
    Does anyone know how many `unregistered` illegal immigrants [ of whatever type or specification ] there are in the UK ?
    Yet another case of lies, damn lies and statistics ?

This bothers me more than the firearms which are not getting free housing and many other benefits !

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Does anyone know how many `unregistered` illegal immigrants [ of whatever type or specification ] there are in the UK ?
    Yet another case of lies, damn lies and statistics ?

This bothers me more than the firearms which are not getting free housing and many other benefits !

HWH.
    What bothers me even more, Is the amount of Illegal Immigrants in the country with unregistered firearms...Cant trace the weapon or the user......I suppose I could ask a politician what his GUESS would be regarding the numbers of both.
    Last edited by sparko; 05-10-2012 at 15:01.