Best ammo for a Sako stainless hunter in 243

dorg

A mate has asked me to put this up, he is using Federal Fusion ammo at the minute but accuracy is poor. Can anyone recommend some factory ammo or a particular bullet tip this rifle might like please. He is shooting small deer up to Roe and shooting up to 150yds in Norfolk.

You can never predict what any given rifle will shoot, but I would start with Norma and RWS ammo and try them out.

I've had good results in the past with Sako 90 and 100gr and currently have some RWS 96gr, but as Brian points out above, you need to check and see what the rifle likes. Regards JCS

A mate has asked me to put this up, he is using Federal Fusion ammo at the minute but accuracy is poor. Can anyone recommend some factory ammo or a particular bullet tip this rifle might like please. He is shooting small deer up to Roe and shooting up to 150yds in Norfolk.

Has your pal tried Sako factory rounds but try both 90 and 100grn my .243 prefer's 100grn but others may prefer 90grn. If you pal zero's his rifle 1" high at 100yds then he will be bingo at 150yds no problem. I would not recommend the use of V Max for deer.

Jimbo

I tried a load of ammo from cheap Gecco to Federal BT's and I couldn't get the grouping down, the Gecco 105gr did group better and at £19 a box of 20 was bearable :)

Now I home load 70gr Sierra HPBT for target practice and 70gr BT's for hunting both group extremely well and work out at 38p a shot, both are over 40gr of N140 with a crimped top :D

I've a sako synthetic stainless - 100gn federal premiums have given me some cracking groups... however Mike of Brock & Norris offers some very affordable reloading options that work out about the same as factory ammo if you buy enough of them in one hit. Maybe try PM'ing him to ask?

The one that shoots most consistently and has a projectile suited to the task. Every rifle is diifferent. Buy and try a few different boxes of 80 to 90 gn projectile wt at the range.

+1 for Sako 100grn expanding soft point, I got the following grouping with them on my Sako .243, albeit a varmint heavy barrel.
But as above, may not behave as well in your rifle but worth a try.

View attachment 19999

Last edited:
never a easy one try a box of norma 100 grainers and the sako 100 grainers it will like one of those 2 for sure my 85 ss 243 loves em both

I have the same gun and found 90 grain Nosler BTs to cloverleaf at 100Ms.
90 gn bullets have been good in my rifle.

My Tikka .243 won't group at all well with 100gr bullets but 80gr Federal "Power Shok" give excellent results. It may be worth seeing what your local RFD has in the way of 80gr and trying a few brands. Rifles are all different, what works for one does not always work for another and even a premier brand like Sako has some variability in manufacture.

Back