BDS Level 2 Assessments Dalmacallam SW Scotland.

Spiker

Any members of the SD Forum contemplating taking their level 2 assessments with the BDS at Dalmacallam near Dumfries may be interested in this post.

The opportunity for level 2 assessments and training with the BDS no longer exists as they have declined to renew the lease. Pity they haven't told their members.

Do you have any inclination as to whether it was the BDS who decided against renewal or was it the landowner who declined a further period of tenancy?

to be honest i would recomend everyone avoid doing there dmq level 2 with them full stop !! after the hastle i had .
but what your saying does not surprise me in the slightest !

regds lee

IWRCH.
The FC offered to renew the lease for a further twelve months and BDS declined to renew. I understand that questions will be raised on the 16th at the AGM under A.O.B. However, I wouldn't hold your breath.

The BDS Training Dept are in the process of refunding outstanding monies.

To the best of my knowledge BDS have nothing to offer their members with regard to training or assessment for Level 2 which is unfortunate.

leec6.5.
I have a great deal of empathy with your post.

Spiker.

BDS the old boys club,joined it a few years ago to try and get into stalking i got four little mags went to an AGM in Perth bunch of ex forces generals who had no time for the few working class people that were there.

Looking to take my level 2 shortly as i personally want to enhance my knowledge and recieve further training but also i absolutely have no choice as the Dorset Police will not give me an open ticket and the freedom to stalk with permission without it.
I currently have to name people and get them added to my ticket to enable me to stalk with them using my own rifle.

From the comments above would members say id be better off taking the level 2 through BASC?

Terry

BDS didn't meet the cull figures on Dalmacallan, and as with all FC leases it is run in conjunction with FC rangers.
When they realised this they threw all the toys out the pram..

regards
griff

So reading between the lines Griff are you saying that BDS refused to take up the lease again because the FC had been going in and taking deer off the ground?

That's a good question.

If so, how soon into the yearly lease did the FC decide to that the cull figures were not being met.

Do you know any more Griff?

Rgds Ian

rh120 said:
BDS the old boys club,joined it a few years ago to try and get into stalking i got four little mags went to an AGM in Perth bunch of ex forces generals who had no time for the few working class people that were there.

Sounds similar to my experience.

Oh, I should add that I then worked on the Committee in the SW, manned the stand at country shows, assisted with training etc.

Upshot for my putting in time, I have made many good friends and excellent contacts.

That has led to access to a lot of stalking.

I guess - as with anything, you get out what you are prepared to put in!

Rgds Ian

As with all FC leases they reserve the right to enter the property if the leaseholder is not acheiving the cull.
Most leases run April~April so when it was apparent that the cull would not be acheived(February) they sent in a Ranger to assess the situation...
BDS argued that the population of deer within Dalmacallan was not what they expected..
When it was suggested that a Ranger went in to bring the cull upto acceptable levels they spat the dummy out...
I have ground that borders on two sides of Dalmacallan and I regulally see deer exiting the forestry on to my ground...

The Ranger saw 21 deer on the first count.....

Draw whatever conclusions you will from that..

FC Scotland will have kept BDS informed every step of the way and no way would they have put a Ranger in without prior notification..

regards
griff

Pheasant Sniper, if you are a BASC member can you give our firearms team a call please- we need to chase this one up!

David

BASC to the rescue!!

If you haven't already contacted them Pheasant Sniper then make the point of giving them a bell. I have had some contact with BASC here in Northern Ireland and they have been most helpful in resolving a few problems. Not only were they helpful but the situations were resolved within hours rather than the months or years it takes to get a FAC here in NI.

If you aren't a member then it is worth your while to join up. No organisation is perfect but BASC are working hard and appear to be expanding their deer operations so the more stalkers we have involved the more say we have in how the organisation works.

Thanks David and caorach

I have been a member of BASC on and off over the last twenty five years..
Thanks for your advice i will be making the call in a minute

Regards

Terry

pheasant sniper

DO YOUR DMQ L2 WITH BASC

as i said before i did mine with bds , my AW was a basc accessor who told me after my first stalk that if it was down to him he would pass me straight away !
to cut a very long story short ..... because of the bds it took 4 stalks 4 deer ,1 dry stalk and 2 lengthy phone calls .
portfolio now at the internal verifier stage should only be a couple of weeks till me certificate arrives i hope !
good luck and PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE !

cheers lee

Thanks for the advice Lee

I had a returned call from BASC firearms this afternoon and it seems some at Dorset Police do like a level two before allowing an open ticket.
I have to say all at Winfrith have been good to me in the past .

I have been recomended a chap who is willing to help with my level two and i am also out with three great chaps off this site so not long now..

Regards

Terry

Terry,

I hope BASC are going to do a bit more than a that especially for a long standing member such as yourself....There is absolutely no legal basis for what the Police are doing and they should be brought to task for it..

Regards,

Peter

Lee

>because of the bds it took 4 stalks 4 deer ,1 dry stalk and 2 lengthy phone calls . <

As opposed to the DMQ minimum of three stalks, three deer and recommended telephone call to discuss portfolio requirements with your assessor?

What was it that you were not able to demonstrate that required a further outing?

Rgds Ian

Back