Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rat terriers?

Rat terriers?

I am wondering about rat terriers. I believe it might be more an American breed, but wonder if you have any opinions? thanks, capt david

We use Patterdales and Jack Russels on this side of the pond for rats, but my Toller(NSDTR) loved ratting in a terrier pack when he was alive. It did make him a bit hard mouthed for picking pheasants up though!!
    Most breeds enjoy a spot of ratting, but not all can handle the bites the get from the rats, so dont want to play more than once.

Yes JRT's are popular also plummer terriers worth a google if you are not aware of them already, I have a patterdale x JRT good ratter and tree rats (grey squirrels) dog.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Quote Originally Posted by patjack View Post
    Yes JRT's are popular also plummer terriers worth a google if you are not aware of them already, I have a patterdale x JRT good ratter and tree rats (grey squirrels) dog.
    Im sorry, I dont care what people say, but a Plummer is a tri-colour JRT. Show the man in the street a Plummer and he will call it a JRT. Patty x JRT wont back off from much though, and pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Bomag View Post
    Im sorry, I dont care what people say, but a Plummer is a tri-colour JRT. Show the man in the street a Plummer and he will call it a JRT.
    Have you read many David Brian Plummer books!?

Im sorry, I dont care what people say, but a Plummer is a tri-colour JRT. Show the man in the street a Plummer and he will call it a JRT. Patty x JRT wont back off from much though, and pictures?
    Hi Bomag
    What are the three colours in a plummer
    GEORDIE

Black, brown and white was what I understood them to be, but having googled them it appears they are red and white made up of JRT, Beagle and Bull. The one a friend had Im sure was tri-colour though, he no longer has that dog and has gone back to Patterdales as they suit the work he does more. Im happy to admit when Im wrong, which it seems I was about colouring, but I still think they look like JRTs.

And yes Ive read a few Plummer books.
    Last edited by Bomag; 16-10-2012 at 09:14.

Think they would make good deer dogs, though I'm not sure if they would have the patience to sit under a high seat like a Bavarian! The ones I've seen stay in the pickup until needed.

but I still think they look like JRTs.
    Look like but are not.