Rat terriers?

captdavid

I am wondering about rat terriers. I believe it might be more an American breed, but wonder if you have any opinions? thanks, capt david

We use Patterdales and Jack Russels on this side of the pond for rats, but my Toller(NSDTR) loved ratting in a terrier pack when he was alive. It did make him a bit hard mouthed for picking pheasants up though!!
Most breeds enjoy a spot of ratting, but not all can handle the bites the get from the rats, so dont want to play more than once.

Yes JRT's are popular also plummer terriers worth a google if you are not aware of them already, I have a patterdale x JRT good ratter and tree rats (grey squirrels) dog.

Yes JRT's are popular also plummer terriers worth a google if you are not aware of them already, I have a patterdale x JRT good ratter and tree rats (grey squirrels) dog.

Im sorry, I dont care what people say, but a Plummer is a tri-colour JRT. Show the man in the street a Plummer and he will call it a JRT. Patty x JRT wont back off from much though, and pictures?

Im sorry, I dont care what people say, but a Plummer is a tri-colour JRT. Show the man in the street a Plummer and he will call it a JRT. Patty x JRT wont back off from much though, and pictures?
Hi Bomag
What are the three colours in a plummer
GEORDIE

Black, brown and white was what I understood them to be, but having googled them it appears they are red and white made up of JRT, Beagle and Bull. The one a friend had Im sure was tri-colour though, he no longer has that dog and has gone back to Patterdales as they suit the work he does more. Im happy to admit when Im wrong, which it seems I was about colouring, but I still think they look like JRTs.

And yes Ive read a few Plummer books.

Last edited:
Think they would make good deer dogs, though I'm not sure if they would have the patience to sit under a high seat like a Bavarian! The ones I've seen stay in the pickup until needed.

And yes Ive read a few Plummer books.[/QUOTE]

sean frain wrote a very good article on "JRT" it seems any small terrier with white-black-brown is called JRT, plummer totally different kettle of fish what ever your opinion is of them
only a few of plummers books he wrote probably over 30 untill his death I have 20 or more some first edition and second far to valuable otherwise I would lend you some to read.
I mentioned plummer as thought it might be of some interest to captdavid not to open up a debate on them.

Have patterdale x russel which stalks with me nine times a week in the forest not in the pickup she will walk to heal (close enough for a terrier ) will sit when I fire and don't run in most of the time she will wait till she's told with my lab then go find them ,Then she is terrier and if there's any sign of life she will let me know not scared of the size difference as I mainly shoot red .She also will do four week's at the den's ,as with any dog you get what you put in but some times it's hard work

sean frain wrote a very good article on "JRT" it seems any small terrier with white-black-brown is called JRT, plummer totally different kettle of fish what ever your opinion is of them
only a few of plummers books he wrote probably over 30 untill his death I have 20 or more some first edition and second far to valuable otherwise I would lend you some to read.
I mentioned plummer as thought it might be of some interest to captdavid not to open up a debate on them.[/QUOTE]

Fair point, I appologise for starting the debate.

I would like to read more of his books but understand why you are loathe to lend firsct and second editions out.

Have you read Work them hard, treat them like heros? An enjoyable read with some very good tips on working your dogs underground.

I already have one. I got her last week. she's 2months old. I believe she'll be about 10lbs and stand 10-12" at the withers when grown. I believe that it was developed in the US. It's my understanding that the Rat, and Jack Russel, while they might have a very similar apperance, are not closely related. Obviously they are both terriers but the Rat is suppose to have less of a hyper drive than the JR. The Rat terrier is a combination of smooth fox terrier, beagle, and whippet. Of course individual dogs within breeds can have different personalities.The mother is a ratter around the barn. I bought her as a companion, light hunter. More something to go with me to dove/deer hunt to help find wounded stuff. I might try her on rabbits or tree rats, but they are not rediily avaliable. any hunting tips are appreciated. thanks, capt david

Black, brown and white was what I understood them to be, but having googled them it appears they are red and white made up of JRT, Beagle and Bull. The one a friend had Im sure was tri-colour though, he no longer has that dog and has gone back to Patterdales as they suit the work he does more. Im happy to admit when Im wrong, which it seems I was about colouring, but I still think they look like JRTs.

I've read some of the "Plummer" books too and met some of the Plummer people (Including the late brian Plummer's widow... she lives quite nearby) and I have one of the Dogs.

You weren't entirely wrong about the colours but eminent breeders don't like the term or even tolerate the condition of being truly "Tri-colour" "A rose by any other name". However, many of the best ones do have black muzzles... Mine certainly has :lol: He's an "Oakfield" dog out of Oakfield Diva by Oakfield Vinnie and they are heavily off "Wyremead" lines. Actually sourced through this website, originally. See the photos of his Sire and Dam below, if you want to get the picture... My boy stands in at 15" at the withers which is on the tall side for the breed but was exactly what I was hoping for (with my fngers crossed) when Ian Marshall and I discussed the likely outcome of this mating. His nose and speed over the ground are phenomenal... he's also pretty damned good on rats.

http://www.oakfieldplummerterriers.com/popup/diva.html

http://www.oakfieldplummerterriers.com/popup/vinnie-big.html

I've also got a Broken Coated Lakeland Fell terrier, she's off old lines too and is a shorter, smaller and thicker set kind. A true earth dog... and so intelligent... but maybe that's a gender thing... :D She's pretty good around deer too but she just can't go past a hole... :rolleyes:

Was never a fan of the plummer terrier a dog that was to hard for its frame. My brother still breeds and works them . I had terriers like Tamus the traditional fell terrier. In fact i am sure Tamus bitch is a descendant of my dog will look out a picture if i have any.

Last edited:
Found this an Aunt of Tamus ,s dog ps not the red one lol.

thedogs.jpg

Back