Binocs, how do you stop them steaming up?

The nitrogen has escaped or they are crap bino's,or when you are sweating and they steam up,you can just tilt your head foward and keep them against your eyebrows and away from your eyes a little,there is some options,I've got el swaros and the last one works if you spend a lot of time looking through them.

Primarily do not breathe out when you are raising them to your eyes!

Secondly when looking through them breathe in through the mouth and out through the nose, this directs the hot moise air from your lungs away from the cold, condensing, glass.

The nitrogen has escaped or they are crap bino's,or when you are sweating and they steam up,you can just tilt your head foward and keep them against your eyebrows and away from your eyes a little,there is some options,I've got el swaros and the last one works if you spend a lot of time looking through them.
the nitrogen fill won't stop the lens steaming up externally :p

Try Wurth anti fog which is sold to keep m/bike helemet visors mist free. I read somewhere that you can use shaving foam as well.

Cheers for the replies! I've tried the whole 'controlled' breathing thing but I started to hyperventilate after a while :lol:

Try Wurth anti fog which is sold to keep m/bike helemet visors mist free. I read somewhere that you can use shaving foam as well.

Ta, I'll give that a try!

In really poor conditions when fogging and rain causing problems plus your "dry" lens cloth ain't dry anymore try your tongue.
Stick it on each lens in turn; long enough to warm the glass. The smear of saliva plus the extra heat will clear things up long enough to glass the area for a few minutes.
Not sure if you will end up licking off the lens coating but I have noticed that my tongue now allows 98% light transmission!

I have also found that using those cloth neckwarmer style face veils causes fogging as exhaled air was channelled towards the lenses- so I now use a mesh style faceveil (if worn at all) and this helps stop the fogging.

Thanks for the help. There Leica binocs so shouldn't be rubbish. I generally wear a balaclava which probably doesn't help the whole steaming up problem.

Thanks for the help. There Leica binocs so shouldn't be rubbish. I generally wear a balaclava which probably doesn't help the whole steaming up problem.

Hi Wildfowler

Try without the balaclava...or try the netting style face cover as this worked for me.

Also If you have been doing quite a bit of walking the body does start venting heat so less layers when walking may assist also.

Let us know how you get on.

Best of luck

col

Little bit of fairy liquid then wiped clean keeps them from steaming for a little while, (use this meathod for my mountain bike glasses) or as said b4 shaving foam can work also.

M

Back