Thread: Bringing a shotgun out of France?

Bringing a shotgun out of France?

I've a good lady friend (half german & french), who has just moved to the UK from the continent. Her father has an OLD OLD shotgun (in France) which hasn't been used for years, and is unsure if it still works, so he uses it as an ornament. She would like to bring it back to the UK, as its hers, but is unsure of the legalities.. Are shotguns registered in France?

Would it be OK if I went over with her to France for a holiday, and brought the shotgun back with me (and enter it on my shotgun cert), as long as I declare it to the red channel at UK & the french customs?? Or would I have to take it to a french dealer, and get them to export it, and then have the old shotgun proofed in the UK? Would I have to get a European Firearms Pass from my local authority before going to France, so I can bring it back??

I would love to know (and her) what the procedures are.

Quote Originally Posted by James8870 View Post
    I've a good lady friend (half german & french), who has just moved to the UK from the continent. Her father has an OLD OLD shotgun (in France) which hasn't been used for years, and is unsure if it still works, so he uses it as an ornament. She would like to bring it back to the UK, as its hers, but is unsure of the legalities.. Are shotguns registered in France?

Would it be OK if I went over with her to France for a holiday, and brought the shotgun back with me (and enter it on my shotgun cert), as long as I declare it to the red channel at UK & the french customs?? Or would I have to take it to a french dealer, and get them to export it, and then have the old shotgun proofed in the UK? Would I have to get a European Firearms Pass from my local authority before going to France, so I can bring it back??

I would love to know (and her) what the procedures are.

Play it safe. Ring your local police firearms department.

I'll do that on Monday when the office is open. I put in for a FAC variation anyway, so I want to ask them if they've got round to doing it yet.

Hi I bought a shotgun back from france for a friend last year, ring your Flo and explain what you want to do, i sent my shotgun certificate and EFP to sussex police with serial number and make of gun, they entered the details on both. i bought the gun back no problem

If it is as OLD OLD as she says it may also be a S.58 antique - depending on calibre & method of ignition, if it's in proof or not, overall condition, year of manufacture, etc.

Is she able to provide photos of it - or maker marks, etc.?

I'll get her to phone her father in France, and get the details off it. Then phone my local FLD, and say what I want to do, see what they advise.
    She's going to phone the local police in France, to see what they say. Will let you know..

Hi James8870,
    In France Shotgun are not registered, so any local french police won't give you any information about your shotgun.
    To go trought the custom you must have an europeen pass and your shotgun certificat with your gun on both document.
    So I'll suggest you call her father in france, have all the information need to fill up the form for your fiearm officer, and when you've got all the document, go and get it !
    If you want you can ask an dealer to bring it to you, but you still need to have it on your licence.

Er - having seen LOTS of shotguns for sale in France at a militaria fair in Normandy I then had to explain to the lads with me that YES, I am a keen shooter with quite a few guns - but even though the shotguns for sale were very reasonably priced - I'd have quite a few problems adding them to my shotgun licence: given the 20" barrels, folding stocks and 8-rd mag. tubes

As per OLD OLD gun no longer used...one of my OLD favourites is my 1898 vintage Winchester - so, what's that - 114 years and still going strong?
    Oh, the model is the Win.1897 - a 5 shot pump action = so it's a SECTION 1 shotgun because of the magazine capacity.

IF the French gun is a side by side or single barrel - as long as the barrels are 24" or longer - then I'd not worry: as I said before it may even be a S.58 if antique or obscure ignition system, etc.

Otherwise you could be asking for trouble if you added a 5 shot pump action or a 22" barrel side by side to a SGC

It pays to do as much research as possible in advance and be extremely cautious