Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pay as you go range

Pay as you go range

is there such a thing as a pay and shoot range in Scotland

Hi Davie,

Not exactly what your looking for but my local RFD has a range at his house with a 50yd .22rf , 100 and 200 yds targets with a covered firing area with a spotting scope ect which he has been only to happy to allow you to use when testing and buying ammo ect.
    Its Peter Donald Guns in Wiston and a very nice chap to deal with.

have you any contact detail for him ?

If there was such as a thing as pay as you go range in Scotland, and you didn't need to be a club member or hold an NRA card,then it would be as busy as hell. The owner of such a range would make a fortune...

Just as long as you showed your FAC and used your own guns, then I can't see any problems. Its just the authorities that wouldn't allow it - sadly.

Just as long as you showed your FAC and used your own guns, then I can't see any problems. Its just the authorities that wouldn't allow it - sadly.[/QUOTE]

Problems could be getting it passed for various calibre weapons and different types of ammunition, to cover all bases would be very expensive. If not suitable for some, monitoring could be a nightmare as some home loaders bring hot loads to test. Insurance and liability could be expensive and would a RSO be required?
    Probably just the tip of the iceberg of reasons why these ranges are not common!

Quote Originally Posted by James8870 View Post
    If there was such as a thing as pay as you go range in Scotland, and you didn't need to be a club member or hold an NRA card,then it would be as busy as hell. The owner of such a range would make a fortune...

Just as long as you showed your FAC and used your own guns, then I can't see any problems. Its just the authorities that wouldn't allow it - sadly.
    I think you may be slightly confusing the legislation and the rules under which Home Office approved clubs have to operate James or else I have misread your post, it is after all rather confusing.

1. Home Office approved rifle clubs are not permitted to operate a day membership scheme. They can however allow guests to shoot who hold firearms certificates using their own guns not those of the club or of other club members. The guest must have the necesssary permission on his/her certificate to allow them to shoot on ranges. Non certificate holders cannot shoot using the exemptions granted to H.O. approved clubs other than at an approved open day. The estate rifle rule may not apply it depends on the circumstances.

2. You only require a certificate of competence to shoot on M.O.D. ranges. If it is a private range or a range owned or leased by a club a certificate of competence is not required. If you don't have such a certificate you can still shoot on a M.O.D. range if you are supervised on a one to one basis by a suitably qualified person.

3. You do not need to be a member of the NRA or NSRA etc. to shoot on approved ranges.

4. Not all commercial ranges will be or operate as Home Office approved clubs. People often confuse rife ranges with rifle clubs.

I do apologise if I am repeating what you have already said but it is or can be quite confusing operating a club or range within the various rules. This is only a very simplified reply and some of the detail may be not quite exact but in essence is correct.
    So it would be possible for a commercial "pay to shoot" range to operate under certain conditions and provided the shooter complies with the law and/or the conditions on his/her firearms certificate.
    Last edited by 8x57; 07-10-2012 at 07:09.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Such a project would be number one on my list of things to do if I ever had enough $$ to fund it - a ferkin lovely 100m tunnel range!!
    No danger area - next to zero noise complaints - very little maintenance

I've used Stead Hall in the past but as it's in North Yorkshire it's about 4 -4 1/2 hrs each way = a bit of a long day out!!

Scotland is sadly lacking such a facility

I hear about cinema ranges elsewhere too - this would be another nice project but possibly at a much higher cost than a series of concrete pipes

yep such a thing would be handy for zeroing

If you Gents from north of the border are ever south of it, come and have a look at Calton Moor in Staffs.

It is as you describe - a 100 yard, pay as you go range, which is cleared for all likely deer and dangerous game calibres.

Cheers,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dovebob View Post
    If you Gents from north of the border are ever south of it, come and have a look at Calton Moor in Staffs.

It is as you describe - a 100 yard, pay as you go range, which is cleared for all likely deer and dangerous game calibres.

Cheers,

Bob
    North Yorkshire being substantially to the NORTH of Staffs by a good couple of hours means that for my money I prefer to use Stead Hall - not too far from the A1 & very good facilities.
    Double the driving time saved to 4 hours minimum = half a day more shooting and a LOT LESS to the Chancellor in Fuel Tax Duty!!