.243 Rifle choice

jodi

Hello, I am looking to buy my first new .243 rifle for fox and deer stalking (just got my FAC), I have been looking at tikka T3 lite s/s and x-bolt stainless fluted synthetic. I have also started looking at the sako A7 as I like the safety that lets you open the bolt when the safety is still engaged, same as the browning. Is the A7 worth the extra money? or do you think it's better to save up a bit more dosh and go for the sako 85 s/s. This is my first rifle and I don't won't to buy again so if I have to wait a while longer I don't mind. There are a lot of reviews on these rifles, does it just come down to what feels right or is one technically better than the other

Thanks'

From someone who's had a .243 xbolt I'd reccommend you steer well clear - you'll find I'm not the only person online who's had problems with them.

The T3, A7, and 85 s/s are all great rifles but you get what you pay for!... Having handled all three I decided the 85 had the edge. I love mine and haven't had a moments regret!

Hello, I am looking to buy my first new .243 rifle for fox and deer stalking (just got my FAC), I have been looking at tikka T3 lite s/s and x-bolt stainless fluted synthetic. I have also started looking at the sako A7 as I like the safety that lets you open the bolt when the safety is still engaged, same as the browning. Is the A7 worth the extra money? or do you think it's better to save up a bit more dosh and go for the sako 85 s/s. This is my first rifle and I don't won't to buy again so if I have to wait a while longer I don't mind. There are a lot of reviews on these rifles, does it just come down to what feels right or is one technically better than the other

Thanks'

You won't go wrong with the T3 mate its the best value rifle around in its price range IMO , you can get a brand new one for £700 ish and a bit more for the stainless stay away from the browning if I were you, if you can afford the sako 85 they are an awesome rifle but are they worth nearly double the price of the T3 I don't think so I've got a T3 and a howa 1500 but I really love the t3 the trigger is absolutely awesome and the bolt is as smooth as silk it's an absolute cracker IMO....

If you think Sako do you think the A7 is better value than the 85

Ive recently fired one down the range and didn't rate it at all the chap who has got it is really disappointed with it he prefers his T3, go with the T3 or the 85 I don't think the A7 is worth the extra over the T3.....

Agreed buy the best you can afford simple as !!!but any new/good used rifle whatever make will get the job done, always the man behind the trigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think Sako do you think the A7 is better value than the 85

The A7 is a good rifle but it's basically a T3 with Sako face paint! Both good rifles but if you can stretch the extra money then get the 85... Though bear in mind you'll need another £130 for mounts for the 85 unless you can get a s/h set from someone on here!

Ive got a new xbolt and was stalking with a man who has a new a7. The a7 is heavier in weight, has the same bolt feature as the x bolt and didnt shoot any better groups than my xbolt did, he was shooting Norma and i was shooting Privi. So i would rather save on pennys and get a xbolt or t3. Go to a good gunshop which has all 3 stocked and take a while with the guns and see what suits you. That what i did a chose the xbolt and love it. Cheers

Thanks for the advice, I've looked at the T3, A7 and the x-bolt out of the 3 I think I like the feel of the x-bolt but I have read mixed reviews seem to love it and some hate it, not seen many bad reports on the Tikka or Sako. I'll see if someone stocks the sako 85 and see how it feels, I'm not in any rush, I've waited months on my FAC so another few weeks won't matter.

Cheers

This months Sporting Rifle has a review on the A7 comparing it with the 85 and tika t3. Think its on the shooting show aswel.

I ve had several Browning A bolts and a 'sort of ' affection for them. The X bolts we've had through on course have been very variable. There's been one or two Ok ones, but the rest seem to keep showing silly and sloppy manufacturing errors. There are enough other choices out there - why take the risk?

I'm a Sako user and big fan. Undecided about the A7, but so pleased with Sako that it's not likely to be a personal issue to revisit.

Tikka is something of an industry standard - and again I've personal had several. Still lament passing of the 595/695 and I'll admit that does cloud my views. The T3s have been redesigned for ease of manufacture, not utility for the user - and that rankles a bit. They'll most likely perform well and hold reasonable value.

But of late if I were to lay out the money for a Tikka, it would be going on a Howa. In fact next personal 'using rifle' will likely be a 6.5 s/s Howa in a Bell & Carlson stock - out of pure personal choice, not budget or being in trade.

It can be daunting, but hope you enjoy the decision process - and as always - please let us know how you get on.

This months Sporting Rifle has a review on the A7 comparing it with the 85 and tika t3. Think its on the shooting show aswel.

You'll never read a bad review on a rifle - it's all advertising. Any negatives they include are to give credibility to the article, or play down any well known design flaws (I work in advertising).

You won't find many bad reviews on sako's or tikka's - forum reviews are the most non-commercial.

Wont go far wrong with a Howa, its my first rifle in .243 and mine shoots sub half inch out the box, 3 position safety and at a very good price you can spend more on the optics. Just pick a rifle that fits you and you get one with, and is decent quality, just because a rifle is a more expensive brand doesnt make you shoot it any better than a well fitted one.

Tom

t3 supervarmint ajustable stock stanles 5round magasine hevey barrel weaver rail as standard over 5000rounds down the spout and still under 1 in at 100yards cost 1050 worth every penney

Look at CZ, mine has accounted for 100 s of deer never let me down , personally I think there is a lot of hype about Sako and tikka, I have the money to buy any rifle I like, and my last purchase was a BSA cf2.

Back