Thread: Howa varminter

Howa varminter

Hi chaps,

I am thinking of a varmint rifle (I know this is a stalking site but there seems some knowlegeable guys on it), typical thing heavy/long barrel, light trigger, rigid fore end etc. I had a brilliant remi vssf a couple of years ago but chopped it in for a sako .308, as I was a bit skint.

I am now in the position to buy another varminter probably .243/.22.250 for dual role roe(Scotland for 22.250)/fox/crow. The question is are these Howas really that good for the money-I was in Litts the other day and they looked good, especially for 500! Or am I better getting another remi vssf, which are closer to double that. Is there that much difference?

Also is .243 OTT for vermin ie crows, hares etc?

Thanks,

James.

ssgpiv
    I have a howa 1500 varminter in .243. Its a recent purchase so I am certainly no authority but I am very pleased. It is clearly an excellent weapon and I am capable of the same accuracy with it as I am with my sako or mannlicher rifles. I like its weight and the thumbhole stock. I would prefer a box magazine and the trigger could do with some work but overall its a fine rifle. This might help. Its a different calibre but still useful http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/arch...p/t-81845.html.

ssgpiv
    Forgot to say but a .204 is the way to go on vermin. I do use both and the .204 is spectacular on vermin.

And the .260 rem even better than that !

Kent
    The .243" is just fine, though you will not get an edible hare even with head shots !

The idea of .222 's etc in scotland is to get a light to carry handy little rifle, so i might question anything lighter than .243" and keep it for high seat work as regards deer.

I shoot among the best shooters in our country - If Vince Bottomley builds his own tactical rifle using a Howa action they are ok with me.

Also Savage are becoming popular they do barrels that can be changed over in 15mins with a few tools -priced much as Howa.

Personally i should buy a remmington, put a HV B/R jewel trigger on it and a good 20 moa base and some good glass on top! But get it bedded.
    Look at the PSS or the LTR as they are available in the HS stock. 223" is available not sure about .243"

ssgpiv
    As a matter of interest kent how much would that lot cost.

Kent
    more than a Howa but you can upgrade a Remi as you go on - bit like a 10/22 Ruger.

A 700 PSS Or LTR about 650 (this includes a HS stock- full ali bedding block) Carbon fibre outer

A HV/BR trigger about 150 -170- you could buy timney or basics cheaper though not as good

Good 1 piece 20moa base by Badger or Farrel about 70 (will also stiffen up the action if loctited to action)

mounts and scope - well you can make most guns shoot but you can't make a scope shoot!

Bedding job - do it yourself ! although you are working with an ALi chasis fit will not be 100%

Say 900 + the Glass. but you don't have to do it all at once and you can do more- re-crown? Better floor plate / magazine conversion etc, etc.

With most other guns Howa , savage, Tika you are stuck with what you get that is the Remmington advantage.

Remember the US marine corps build thier sniper rifles the M40 A5 this way- basically a very modified Remmington 700 ! so you are unlikely to get better

Compare the initial investment at 650 will get you shooting

ssgpiv
    This raises an interesting point for me. When reading this site you come to the conclusion that most shots are taken within 200 yards and I would say more like 100. I use 200 at the extreme because in a previous thread I think you indicated it to be probably as far out as you would go. If this is true, are there many/any available rifles that out of the box, would not with the right ammunition, put a round accurately into the kill zone within that range. I ask because I wonder if alot of the customising that is undertaken is because of desire rather than need. I can certainly see that at ranges greater than stalkers normally operate at, that some customising would be advantageous but in the real world it seems unnecessary. Or is that just rubbish.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Have been thinking about the .204, I was a bit concerned about the ammo supply as it is a bit of an unproven round! The .243 may be an option as it could double as a roe gun, with different ammo obvioulsy.

The VSSF was a cracker, but I see they are about a grand, and now have a very shiny stainless barrel. All my rifles are stainless but with a dull matte finish.

The Howa really looked good and I think I am heading that way, and if its good enough for mr Bottomley I am sure it will suffice.

Cheers,

James.

Kent
    This raises an interesting point for me. When reading this site you come to the conclusion that most shots are taken within 200 yards and I would say more like 100. I use 200 at the extreme because in a previous thread I think you indicated it to be probably as far out as you would go. If this is true, are there many/any available rifles that out of the box, would not with the right ammunition, put a round accurately into the kill zone within that range. I ask because I wonder if alot of the customising that is undertaken is because of desire rather than need. I can certainly see that at ranges greater than stalkers normally operate at, that some customising would be advantageous but in the real world it seems unnecessary. Or is that just rubbish.

Yep, the origonal thread was talking hare and crows though - it ain't much fun shooting crows at 100yds with centrefire, and it is very difficult to wound them at 500yds with a .243" now 100 yds with rimfire thats good fun!

Lets be honest practically any new centrefire should be more than accurate enough for 100 -150 yds