Thread: primers

primers

I recently aquired some once fired cases, unfortunately they were resized and primed when i got them , not normally a problem but the primers were put in 20yrs ago!!!
    has anybody got any experience of similar as i am tempted to take the primers out and reprime them
    the question is , do primers deteriorate??
    cheers
    steve

You're going to need to take them out anyhow if those were fired once in someone else's rifle.~Muir

Some primers are very well sealed but sometimes the seal breaks slightly when being seated in the case.
    If this has happened hygroscopic reaction, drawing water from the air, MAY have occurred making the primers useless.
    When you say 'resized' do you mean full length sized as per the calibre spec or do you mean resized for the rifle they were originally fired in, neck only ?
    Your best bet would to see if one fits the chamber of the rifle you intend to use them in and fire one off.
    If it fits and fires then fine, go ahead and reload as normal, bear in mind the primers may be Magnum primers so work up your powder charge gradually.

Depends how they were stored. Usually it's only oil that screws up primers but if in doubt just fire the primers off and go from scratch.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Hi
    yes they were (so i'm told) full length resized as you say its easy enough to try one in the rifle to check ,it was more the chances of the primers deteriorating i was wondering about, i will ask the guy i got them off if they are magnum primers he is a bit of a techy and will still have the details in his loading book
    cheers

Surely it's not worth messing around with for the cost of a new primer at around 3p a time, pop them out or fire them off and resize/reprime.

Oh I just noticed would that be Selby in Yorkshire? You don't to go throwing money away bogwelly do you, or you will let the county's reputation down.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Personaly, if there are any doubts about any of my ,or anyone elses reloads I always scrap and start agian. The most important factor in accurate shooting is compleat confidence in all your prep.
    Tusker.

Same here tusker, I've a couple of mates that are very careful reloaders and a few that are not so careful but I would only ever use ammo that I have loaded myself.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    Personaly, if there are any doubts about any of my ,or anyone elses reloads I always scrap and start agian. The most important factor in accurate shooting is compleat confidence in all your prep.
    Tusker.
    These aren't reloads only primed cases and if they work, part of the reloading job is done so why go back and start again

evan as a born yorkshireman i would say ditch the primers unless you are useing them on a range for practice
    if your using them on live quarry at best a misfire will cost you a kill hangfire etc will be a danger