Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using a 6mm remington.

Anyone using a 6mm remington.

Hi guys im thinking of filling my spare 6mm slot next year. Now I've looked at 6x47 243 ai and 6mm ai

But more then likely going to stick to good old standard 243 or 6mm Remington. Now the remmington looks very good though its not very popular over here. And from I have seen only rem or Winchester brass is offered for reloading.

Where 243 has lapua and other good makes etc. Now I know people say there is nothing wrong with remmy or Winchester brass. With a little prep work nothing to worry about at all but being to buy lapua brass is handy. And the extra cost of it. Is worth it in my book if it saves prepping time.

Does anyone on here use a 6 mm remmington for fox and deer ? When I say deer it will only be roe and the odd fallow on a paid day.

Would be intrested in peoples views on this calibre
    Atb jay

I use a ruger no1v in 6mm rem and find it an excellent combination for fox roe and fallow, all of wich I shoot on a regular basis with it. I use 90gr bullets for all.
    I did buy this rifle intending to rebarrel it in 7mm but after shooting a few rounds through it, found it was performing to well to change, ended up getting another slot on my ticket for a 7mm instead.
    since getting it the .223 has been gathering dust.
    sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

SD Regular
    I have a 6mm Remington, indeed. If you want to see more than one visit Norman Clarke who likes the calibre very much. It offers some benefits, besides being slightly different to 243 Winchester. It is a better balanced cartridge shape. But I never could get mine to group with 100 grain Nosler Partition bullets so I am going to sell it!

I will be at some time putting all the various RCBS dies I have on here on classifieds.

What twist rates does the 6mm rem use ?

Neil.

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    What twist rates does the 6mm rem use ?

Neil.
    In theory EXACTLY the same as any 243 Winchester. But the 6mm in its original design, as 244 Remington used 1 in 12 and would, it is said, not stabilise 100 grain bullets.

Yes by the time remmington changed it it was to late and the 243 really took hold of the market. I would more then likely go for a 9 twist if I have one .

Of course the slower twist rates like 1 in 12 suite the lighter varmint bullets better.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    In theory EXACTLY the same as any 243 Winchester. But the 6mm in its original design, as 244 Remington used 1 in 12 and would, it is said, not stabilise 100 grain bullets.
    Thanks for that, so for lighter bullets say up to 87grain a 1 in 12 twist in 6BR, 6mm Remington, .243" etc. would be fine ?

Neil.

I believe that all 6mm rems have a 1 in 9 twist and that the .244rem had a 1 in 12! just check before you buy if the rifle is stamped as a .244 it will have the slower twist (not good for 100gr bullets).
    Hope that helps.
    sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

SD Regular
    Indeed, as SINBAD says that calibre stamp is the way to visually tell the difference. Other than that put a swivel handle cleaning rod and phosphor bronze brush down the bore and measure how long a full turn is.

My 6mm Remington, a Parker Hale M81 Classic is 1 in 9 twist.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Hi Jay

My shooting buddy on here Craig 1S1K has a 6mm rem and it shoots like a dream,

he has a one of built parker hale that was done by the top man at PH, with bluing to die for fully bedded and unscrew cut. the guy who's name escapes me built 4 all the same and i think the cals where,

6mm rem
    7mm 08
    and 1 other,( i may have the cals wrong by the way) but all built for himself but never shot, they where all locked up until earlier this year and had only been proof shot,

as you say not to many around in the uk it may seem, but im sure there are a few on here that may have one sat in a cabinet.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube