Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Definition of a firearm

Definition of a firearm

When does a bolt action rifle become a firearm, is it only when the bolt is in place - or is it still classed as firearm even with the bolt & magazine removed?

I often go stalking in the morning before i go to work, instead of taking the rifle home i will take it to work with me as my ground is significantly closer to work than it is home. I leave the rifle in the car, bring the bolt into work with me & lock it in my drawer & then the magazine & ammo stays in my pocket all day. All very discreet & nobody knows about it (done it for years)... my car also sits directly outside my office window & my desk faces the window, so its still in my sight & nobody could steal it without me noticing. The other day a situation arose where a member of the driving team had to borrow my car, so instead of packing him off with my rifle in tow i removed it from the car before giving him the keys & brought the rifle into my office which i dont share with anyone else.

It was still disasembled in its slip, but now a member of staff has put a complaint in about me bringing a "firearm" into work. Im trying to argue that it isnt a firearm in its current dismantled state & it completely harmless.

Normally it would be kept in my car, but the situation forced me to bring it into the office.

Can anybody clarify whether i actually brought a firearm into the office or not?

Cheers

DA
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

I may be wrong, but I was told that if the part requires a fac to purchase it then it is a firearm.

Deer Assassin,

With a moniker like yours why do you think a work colleague could fear for their life?

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Deer Assassin,

With a moniker like yours why do you think a work colleague could fear for their life?

Stan
    The name on my office door doesnt read "Deer Assassin" though does it?!?!

Nor are any of my work colleagues aware of my SD handle or even that im a member.

As far as Plod are concerned (well.. mine anyway) any pressure bearing part requires a section 1 ticket and therefore is technically a firearm or part therof..

From joe publics point of view... a gun is a gun whether or not a critical component was missing... they don't know that or possibly aren't aware how a firearm works piece by piece..

Have to admit.. I'd be a bit concerned if you brought a gun into my place of work and I'm a shooter.. perhaps you should have been a little more discrete?

Also... I doubt very much the police would see your usual routine as being in keeping with the terms and conditions of your ticket.. a one off out of necessity maybe but to regularly leave your rifle in the car at work is, to my mind, just asking for trouble!
    Last edited by Vipa; 06-10-2012 at 21:18.

Hi.
    Just a thought if you shoot a deer before work do you put that in the boot with the rifle as well!!!!

You have committed no offence.Quite the opposite, you have taken reasonable precautions. If your employer has a problem then there should of course be clear guidance which they will be able to demonstrate you knew about and ignored. Let them do all the talking, they will no doubt get it all wrong and you will see them dig a big hole for themselves. I would then turn it all back on them , are you in Basc for example or covered by your house insurance? The only thing I can see is the person who was so offended could bring a private prosecution....but what for???

Remember if you go to a hotel for example, what you did is the correct thing to do, everything safe and seperate. I guess your employer thinks they are above the law, let them show they are, they might find it difficult.

I alos note the post above mine stating your asking for trouble, no disrepect to the poster of that but once again , how often is often, for all we know it could be 3 times in 20 years, hardly unreasonable and I have to admit there is nothing on my conditions saying I cannot do that...that would mean you could never leave a firearm or shotgun in a car ....but you can.....if you take reasonable precautions...ie take the bolt etc with you, out of view etc.
    Last edited by chickenman; 06-10-2012 at 21:28.

Quote Originally Posted by quiteman View Post
    Hi.
    Just a thought if you shoot a deer before work do you put that in the boot with the rifle as well!!!!

No - we have a chiller in the stables at my ground.

I'll leave it in the chiller & go back & pick it up on my way home.

[QUOTE=chickenman;450266]You have committed no offence.Quite the opposite, you have taken reasonable precautions. If your employer has a problem then there should of course be clear guidance which they will be able to demonstrate you knew about and ignored. Let them do all the talking, they will no doubt get it all wrong and you will see them dig a big hole for themselves. I would then turn it all back on them , are you in Basc for example or covered by your house insurance? The only thing I can see is the person who was so offended could bring a private prosecution....but what for???

How about armed trespass if your boss say no to you takeing a firearm to work

[QUOTE=reiver;450276]
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    You have committed no offence.Quite the opposite, you have taken reasonable precautions. If your employer has a problem then there should of course be clear guidance which they will be able to demonstrate you knew about and ignored. Let them do all the talking, they will no doubt get it all wrong and you will see them dig a big hole for themselves. I would then turn it all back on them , are you in Basc for example or covered by your house insurance? The only thing I can see is the person who was so offended could bring a private prosecution....but what for???

How about armed trespass if your boss say no to you takeing a firearm to work

So if he goes into work without a gun he is trespassing everyday he goes to work??? well he must be with your suggestion? ....he works there, he is invited to be at his place of work...so he cannot be trespassing. His only grief can be with employer....or the person who made the complaint. It matters not about the definiton for he did take a firearm to work.....but he has committed no offence....if so where is it written you cannot tale a firearm to work or keep one for a limited period away from a sake without taking reaonable precautions????

And as I siad, if my reply is read....does his employer say he cannot take a firearm into work? That would have to be written in black and white. That also would not be law ...

I have in the past had to travel through london on the tube, I checked with my local force, the met and the hotel i went to....all were satisfied if reasonable precautions were taken, which were as per original post.
    Last edited by chickenman; 06-10-2012 at 21:48.