Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HS 2nd & 3rd Tracks/Norwegian Guests/How Tough Are Sika?

HS 2nd & 3rd Tracks/Norwegian Guests/How Tough Are Sika?

As title suggests, a 3 way write up!

I have 2 Norwegian guests over just now for sika stags. Gordon has shot a lot of sika in the past and Bjorn, although an experienced shot has never stalked sika before.

We went out on Thursday and saw a lot of deer including some nice stags and one or two real belters. The place seems to be coming down with hinds and calves so a busy couple of months ahead.

No shots were taken on the Thursday but we watched 2 stags having a bit of a go at each other in a field that we had considered sitting watching but changed our minds as a big stag had been seen in the area we eventually opted for as an alternative. A few feet from them were 15 hinds and a bigger stag, feeding away without a care in the world. So the rut won't have quite started it appears.

Friday saw me up a high seat with Bjorn, whilst Gordon stalked the high ground giving him a great view of us.... and the huge stag he said on a text was in the area over the trees behind us. Out the high seat and stalked in on a really big boy on his own on an open grass hill. A crawl began but before we could get close enough he walked up to a fence and cleared it into the forestry, despite a blow on the call stopping him for a second but behind cover. Pity as he was limping on a front leg. We went back to the high seat after lunch and again came down out it to stalk into a young stag we saw come out high above us. Again a crawl in to about 100m or so. Bjorn was shooting up a fairly steep slope and he does not like a bi-pod. He managed a good shot off his elbows, through a wee bit cover and into the chest of the stag that lept up kicking out his back legs. Then the fun began. He ran straight at us before veering off towards the forestry, jumped clearing a stock fence and a stone wall behind it and must have traveled at least 4m through the air clearing them both before running off into the trees. Bjorn was using bonded 140grn bullets in his 6.5x55 and the shot was good so we were confident he was dead but it gave me a chance to work the dog. Up to the shot sight where we saw blood suggesting a lung shot. The dog tracked it down the hill but seemed to work to the left of the track and was allowing the wind to carry the scent to her from the right. I was a bit concerned at this but it was a track only 20mins old. She brought me to the fence and up she went on the back legs looking over and then at me. Clear indication she wanted to follow. Over we went and she tracked into the trees for about 40m to where it was lying dead.As I started to drag it to a spot to gralloch she started to bark at it, so I took the opportunity to tease her with the head. She went ballistic! Constant barking and jumping back from it but then standing her ground. I could not have been more pleased. The drag back to the car had her barking continually at it until I stopped. The moment the deer stopped moving she would stop barking. I hope when Rudi sees this he will be pleased and that she is doing the right thing. This is the stag, 92lbs clean and Bjorn's first sika.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nor2.jpg  
    Last edited by jamross65; 07-10-2012 at 06:36.

Back out today and this time Gordon managed to get a nice 8 point stag. The shot was ranged at 255m so all credit to him for the job he made of it. Good rest off the bi-pod, again 140grn 6.5x55 but Sierra Gamekings this time.

Again the stag lept up kicking out the back legs and I saw the bullet strike on the shoulder, before another mad 60m run back into the forestry and clearing a fence!

Back up with the HS to the shot site. Plenty of lung matter and blood leading off through the bracken. The dog began the track with a degree of confidence this time compared to a slight tentative start yesterday before going too quickly She stopped twice and lifted her head onto the bracken to sniff at a couple of small pieces of lung. Very pleased at her for that! She again tracked to the fence and this time the head went through straining to carry on! Over she went for about 10m before a left 90deg turn up the steep hill. A further 30m track or so and again a dead stag lying there, perfect lung shot.

Not big body and only a young one at 90lbs but a nice head.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nor1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	264.4 KB 
ID:	20025

I realise these were very easy tracks for the dog and yesterdays was a bit strange in the way she seemed to track off the blood by using the air scent downwind of the track but the end result was the same. I could see from the way she behaved it was in fact far too easy for her and she was going too fast after she got going, so back to reality for her this week with a couple of 24hr old training tracks with cleaves only, no blood. Again during the drag down the hill she kept barking at the stag until again I stopped, and so did she. Fingers crossed this will continue in holding a stag at bay when the time comes.

She is still young but I am pleased with the way she is progressing.

Back out tomorrow for the big brother of these two... (hopefully)

This is Gordon's 50th Scottish sika stag and already he is talking about coming back next year!
    Last edited by jamross65; 06-10-2012 at 21:59.

good write up there good to hear your getting in about them . Bet the fellas where chuffed with there stags good pictures Dean

nice write up and well done

Nice reading .... Seems like whiskey is going to turn out just fine for you

good stuff Brian, sounds like whiskey is coming along just really well, George will be after some lessons!!!

A HS on a hot track! Sounds like he's turning out just fine.! I think the 24 hr tracks will keep him on his toes! Well done to both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    A HS on a hot track! Sounds like he's turning out just fine.! I think the 24 hr tracks will keep him on his toes! Well done to both of you!
    Hot track, cold track, 24hr old track..... If an HS can co all that does that make it an all round deer dog?

I know what you are getting at though. She will be on 24hr cleaves only tracks this coming week. A wee taster for her has shown that she will bark well. Far too easy though...

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Hot track, cold track, 24hr old track..... If an HS can co all that does that make it an all round deer dog?

I know what you are getting at though. She will be on 24hr cleaves only tracks this coming week. A wee taster for her has shown that she will bark well. Far too easy though...
    The major thing here is the handler knows exactly what he's doing,well done Brian and Whisky....
    As Robbo says I'll need help,my wife keeps telling me this.You in now??

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports