Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most poular red deer caliber

Most poular red deer caliber

Hello all , As my user name says , I live in western canada & I'm new to this site, so forgive me if this question has been asked a hundred times before.I'm just curious about which calibers are most popular for taking red stags

Thanks & good hunting

Going to Scotland next week for 3 days on the Red stags. I will be using 30-06 and my mate will use 270 win.
    Tusker.

Depends where you go but I'd guess .243/.270/.308/.30-06, up where I am it's mostly .243 or .270 I only know a couple with .308 rifles and the odd one with something else.

Snag

My friends are in Scotland now shooting stags using 7mm-08, .308W, 6.5x47Lapua and I use .25-06Rem. They have six stags down now and I shall be on the ground this week. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

i took a red stag with my .308 last week , shooting 150 grn soft nose , did the job nicely ! What do you shoot in Canada ?

Most people who stalk for a living stick to the 270 it has been the choice for decades and has seen off many calibers in the past and I can't see it changing in the future as it does what it says on the tin and more!

I have been converted to the 270 recently, the 308 is used on the estate i help on though. They are still very popular calibres in the highlands.

ATB wallace

Quote Originally Posted by patterdale View Post
    Most people who stalk for a living stick to the 270 it has been the choice for decades and has seen off many calibers in the past and I can't see it changing in the future as it does what it says on the tin and more!
    Where did you get your data, from a verifiable survey or plucked out of the air? BASC did a survey a few years ago. Certainly the .270 is popular, but it's not true that "most people who stalk for a living" use the .270. The BASC survey revealed that the professional stalker tends to use a .243 and it is the amateur who uses larger calibres, typically 7mm and upwards.

An but one data poiint, I have stalked with two professinal Scottish stalkers most years since 1995. One who is in the central highlands uses nothing but a .243 (a BSA he's had since the 1960s). He shoots around 180 red deer per annum. The other is in the far north east. He does have a .270 but mainly uses his .243.

-JMS

I can only say what I've experienced working fulltime as a stalker. I'm not getting in a pissing competition over calibers, was only giving Alberta boy my opinion from many decades of deer control!

Quote Originally Posted by patterdale View Post
    I can only say what I've experienced working fulltime as a stalker. I'm not getting in a pissing competition over calibers, was only giving Alberta boy my opinion from many decades of deer control!
    i just recomended the 270 to my shooting partner for reds i dont use one myself but the 270 has acounted for lots of red deer kills its fast flat and hits hard if i was not granted 7mm rem mag the 270 would be my first choice for big deer a 308 i would not give space in my gun cabinet but thats my own opinion 243i have but would feel underguned on a big stag i look at the 7mm mag as a 270 on steroids