Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading novice's worries...

Reloading novice's worries...

How important is it to keep brass separated by number of time fired?

I ask because yesterday I returned from the range and mistakenly put 15 twice-fired .270 SAKO cases in with about 20 thrice-fired cases.

As a novice, I'm aware I'm being a perahps a bit obsessive (in a good way, generally) about my reloading practice. Should I be bothered by the error, or should I just treat them all as thrice-fired and stop fretting?

Any thoughts gratefully receieved!

youll be fine this time but best not to make a habit of it

atb mark
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

i normaly reload 100at a time when i get down to about 20rounds i then start reloading the other 80 i dont use these till i fire the last 20 the thing with brass there is no number of times you can reload it you can purchase lapu brass fire it 3times and the case may be buggered depends on your load how you treet the brass every case can have a difrent life span hence why we inspect every case after firing do not be misled in to thinking joe blogs told me he gets 10 reloads from winchester brass thats in his gun not yours inspect all your cases look for splits in the neck primer pockets that are to loose and general conditon of the case you will have no problem

+1

Quote Originally Posted by wraith View Post
    i normaly reload 100at a time when i get down to about 20rounds i then start reloading the other 80 i dont use these till i fire the last 20 the thing with brass there is no number of times you can reload it you can purchase lapu brass fire it 3times and the case may be buggered depends on your load how you treet the brass every case can have a difrent life span hence why we inspect every case after firing do not be misled in to thinking joe blogs told me he gets 10 reloads from winchester brass thats in his gun not yours inspect all your cases look for splits in the neck primer pockets that are to loose and general conditon of the case you will have no problem
    Man. I like reading your posts but they would be so much easier to decipher if you tossed in a period or capital letter sometime!~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Man. I like reading your posts but they would be so much easier to decipher if you tossed in a period or capital letter sometime!~Muir
    Andy, You'll be getting the diction police in if you ain't careful!!!!!!!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I too am a novice reloader but did the simple thing and bought about 5x 50 MTM cases and labelled them up 2x Fired 3x Fired etc and then when they have been fired they are moved in to the next case after inspection

As the saying goes KISS (Keep it simple stupid)

I recently bought 100x Lapua once fired cases and split it in to two batches of 50, when one 50 has all been used up then ill move on to the next 50, I also only neck size which in theory should improve the life span of the cases.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    as above,

i load 50 at a time and as i reach the last 5 rounds i start the next lot,

then when i finish the first lot i just start the cycle again,

i also do it in stages,

1, clean in the ultrasonic cleaner.
    2, spray lube, de-cap and size (always fl them)

then i clean them again in the ultrasonic cleaner remove dry and inspect

3, de-bur and uniform primer pocket and etc.
    4, prime
    5, load with powder and top off with the bullet im plan to use.

record data in log book with date time calibre and amount loaded.

Mark the label with the above details and mark the label with the number of times the case has been re-used.

then a nice cup of tea and bit of scottish short bread mmmmmmmm

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

always always always record load data and at what state your cases are i.e.

.243 ai
    51.5 g 4831Sc
    55g nosler bt
    fed gm 210 primer
    seating 13 thou off the lands
    neck tension 2 thou with a 269 bush
    no trimming required at load 5
    reloaded 5 times
    annealed 1 time at reloading 3
    stainless tumbled every time
    date 31-08-2012

you can not record to much info, one day it might just save your life

I never have much idea how often my cases have been fired. I have some Lapua cases that must be approaching 15 times around the cycle, though I'm not exactly sure which ones they are, and some that have only been fired once. I know I have some fired only once as I took 20 new ones out of a new box of brass, I'm pretty much guessing at the 15 times figure. I did try to keep track but then I mixed things up and... Well now I've no idea really.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/