Swarovski wont hold zero

lukejr175

I bought a 3-10-42 z3 about 2 years ago, its been on my 243 and now sits on my 25-06. So i took it out this morning set up a target and shot a nice 3 hole group @100 yds on 6x power. I then wound the mag up to 10x And took a further 2 shots, but the shots that i took at full mag did not hit the target. I should add that the barrel on the rifle had cooled down before i took my second shots. I think the scope might need to be sent back to swarovski, unless anyone has any other ideas as to why the zero changed?

i hope you zero at 10x then your point of aim will not change as you turn down the mag if you zero at 3then turn mag to 10 point of impackt will change a scope of say 24mag must be set at 24 or image anomiles will be present at other magnificatons regardles of the price of the scope so a scope set on 3 will open up at 10 and a scope zero at 10 will tighten to 3 mag

Recently had a problem with my Swarovski nova. Just because it's a Swarovski doesn't mean it doesn't go wrong. Swapping the scope using the same rifle found my problem. Don't try to zero it just use a very large piece of cardboard and a single aiming point. Before you change the scope I'd also try the magnifications in between to see if the shift is a progressive one

I've now seen/heard of two swarovski scopes that seem to have the same problem(Z6i's i believe),both would not hold zero for any length of time or would go off zero for no obvious reason, with both it turned out to be the focus ring.
If you clamp the rifle and put very slight pressure on the focus ring at 12o'clock, fire a shot then do the same at 3,6 and 9o'clock you may find it shoots an explanded group i.e one shot at say 2" high, one 2" low one 2" to the left ect, certainly in the case of one of them swarovski went immediatly into "denial mode"
but after a lot of persistance (so i'm told) admitted they knew there was an ongoing problem with that model and replaced the scope free of charge.
I would get it back to them and see what they say, if they sort it all good and well, if not be firm and point out that you are aware of a known problem and therefore expect them to sort it.

i hope you zero at 10x then your point of aim will not change as you turn down the mag if you zero at 3then turn mag to 10 point of impackt will change a scope of say 24mag must be set at 24 or image anomiles will be present at other magnificatons regardles of the price of the scope so a scope set on 3 will open up at 10 and a scope zero at 10 will tighten to 3 mag

This sounds like favourite to me......

i hope you zero at 10x then your point of aim will not change as you turn down the mag if you zero at 3then turn mag to 10 point of impackt will change

I just can't see this, either the zero moves when the magnification is adjusted, or it doesn't :confused:

Neil. :)

Just put my Z6i (gen 1) on my Tikka T3 varmint .243 yesterday. Set targets at 50,100&150 yds. 1st shot @50yds 1" low 1"left a few ajustments and it was within 1/2" @ 50yds 1" @ 100 yds &
2" @ 150yds. That was between magnification of 4 & 15 X
No issues with it
Wingy

If there is any zero shift with any movement of the mag ring, send it back because that's not right, simple as that.

check all the bolts on your rifle are tight 1st! ive heard the recoil from using a moderator can burst the crosshairs too, maybe a point if youve been using it on a .243 then put it onto the more powerful. 25-06. did you wind it back down to 6x and try a shot?

Tweedbreeks
The scope holds zero on 6x mag, had a fox at 120yds no probs its only when i adjust mag that the zero point changes
Thanks Luke
check all the bolts on your rifle are tight 1st! ive heard the recoil from using a moderator can burst the crosshairs too, maybe a point if youve been using it on a .243 then put it onto the more powerful. 25-06. did you wind it back down to 6x and try a shot?

Tweedbreeks
The scope holds zero on 6x mag, had a fox at 120yds no probs its only when i adjust mag that the zero point changes
Thanks Luke

oh rite sounds bloody frustrating to me. i have a 6-24x50 swarovski and havent noticed the difference in point of aim, it was zeroed on 12 power and usually stays there right enough though! might try it at 6x and 24x at 100 yards and see if theres any difference! you learn something new everyday!

Aren't most top end optics using laser etched reticles now? You can bust those. And using a mod usually reduces recoil?

I just can't see this, either the zero moves when the magnification is adjusted, or it doesn't :confused:

Neil. :)

Indeed can't see how it can work one way and not the other, personally if its something you can replicate each time you move the zoom I'd be sending it back. My Z6i certainly doesn't do it

Wraith perhaps you have a much better understanding of scopes than I do, but I usually zero a rifle scope at 100 yds using about 8x. If I then move the magnification (on an MTC 6-24, 2 Nightforces 5.5 - 22 and a Swarovski 6 -24) up to max and shoot at the same target - I see no difference - am I just lucky or just a bad shot that the higher magnification shots go where the lower ones went??

Aren't most top end optics using laser etched reticles now? You can bust those. And using a mod usually reduces recoil?

i had a problem with the two main bolts coming loose on my rifle and my gundealer told me it was down to the moderator. he said that instead of all the force going forward when you fire a round, some of it is expelled through the rifle by the moderator and overtime the bolts can slacken. made sense to me when he explained it! sorry missed your point a bit maybe, the same forces going through the rifle he said can also burst the crosshairs!

Last edited:
i had a problem with the two main bolts coming loose on my rifle and my gundealer told me it was down to the moderator. he said that instead of all the force going forward when you fire a round, some of it is expelled through the rifle by the moderator and overtime the bolts can slacken. made sense to me when he explained it! sorry missed your point a bit maybe, the same forces going through the rifle he said can also burst the crosshairs!

I have heard some stuff in my time but this thread beats them all, just wondering what type of Dealers there are out there.

Back