Thread: Barnes Varmint grenade

Barnes Varmint grenade

Advice needed from an experienced reloader please.

I want to reload some 243 Win. with 62 Gn Varmint Grenades. The Barnes load data states Fed GM210M primers and Winchester cases. I have CCI 200 primers and Federal cases. Can I use them or must I stick rigidly to the recipe. I will, of course start with the minimum load and use the specified powder.

Thanks

Paul

There is no reason to stick to their load, you can use your chosen componants and change the powder too if you wish just use the powder companys data and start low and work up, adjusting the seating depth and powder charge weight to suit your rifle whilst being vigilant with pressure signs. Thats the beauty of reloading, you are able to tailor the load to suit.

RPA 6MM BR,

Thanks for the advice, as a beginner to reloading I was a little concerned about how much effect on pressure a different primer might have and whether certain powders needed a specific primer.

Thanks again.

Paul

As RPA states, you do not have to stick to the recommended components given in a book. It is worth bearing in mind though that whilst all .243 cases have the same exterior measurements when new, the weight between manufacturers may differ therefore, a case that is lighter (say by 7 to 10 grains) will have a greater internal volume and will perform differently to a heavier case which has less volume hence the reason why we should not reload a mixture of manfacturer's cases.

Finally - varmint grenades. I did read on an American forum that many who had tried them had difficulty in getting a successful load that shot consistently well. Don't want you to throw in the towel if that happens to you - just saying that, as there are a few bullet weights similar to the VG 62 gr that have a reputation to shoot very well without too much trouble.

Peter,

Thanks for the advice, I have cases from different manufacturers so will keep them separate.

Perhaps the 62 Gr VG is not a good choice for my my first reloads?

Regards
    Paul

Paul dont be too worried about the barnes grenades they aren't that bad to load with ,I got a handful to try and this was my first 3 I tried

Hi Paul, as Peter says it pays not to mix your brass up, to be honest it will make very little difference at stalking sized targets at normal ranges but as these are for varmint use its possible that you are going to play at some longer ranges on crows etc and this is where consistancy is needed. My advice would be to spend the money and buy Lapua cases as they are very consistant and you can trust them, they also hold up much better with hot loads.
    A very good bullet for varmint use that shoots very well in every 243 that i have ever shot is the Hornady 75gr V-Max and my friends have had great success with the 55gr variant too. If you are going to shoot at the longer ranges dont get drawn into the lighter bullet = flatter long range trajectory as at longer ranges with the 243 you will be far better off going with the 87gr or the 105gr A-Max.

If you are going to shoot at the longer ranges dont get drawn into the lighter bullet = flatter long range trajectory as at longer ranges with the 243 you will be far better off going with the 87gr

I agree with Rpa here the 87 gr hornady's are good as are the 80gr sierra's giving you a bit more punch at the bigger distances but enjoy tinkering with your loads with the grenades youve already got its all good experience..

Thanks for the comments gents,
    I bought the VGs on a whim but I am determined to make them work. My mate uses 75Gr VMax's in his 25-06 and they certainly do the business. Am I right in thinking that the 1 in 10 twist in my Howa will only stabilise <100Gr bullets?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul LCB View Post
    Thanks for the comments gents,
    I bought the VGs on a whim but I am determined to make them work. My mate uses 75Gr VMax's in his 25-06 and they certainly do the business. Am I right in thinking that the 1 in 10 twist in my Howa will only stabilise <100Gr bullets?

Paul
    Hi Paul, the 1 in 10 twist is quite middle of the road for the 6mm calibres so you may find it shoots most things pretty well, my 6mm BR was a 1 in 8 and loved the 105gr A-Max but saying that it shot very well with the 58gr V-Max too. Its a case of suck it and see its worth experimenting, you may find that you surprise yourself.