Wildfowlers dog savaged by seal!

BODACH

[h=2]From todays Press & Journal, never heard of that before.[/h]

[h=1]Warning after gundog savaged by huge seal[/h]
A DOG suffered horrific injuries and was put down after being savaged by a seal near Newburgh – just weeks after warning signs were pulled down.
Yesterday, wildfowler Matthew Will was still in shock after plunging into freezing waters to try to rescue the bloodied and drowning three-year-old pet.
The 21-year-old said trained gundog Fly had jumped into the water to retrieve a downed duck when the seal attacked.
“There was a sudden and terrific thrashing and howling in the water,” he said.

The poor dog had to be put down.

One of my mates witnessed a bull grey seal, attack and kill a terrier beside the fish pass at the Tees Barrage. I guess at certain times of the year they maybe more aggressive to intruders.

Terrible loss for the owner.

I know Mathew and I remember him getting his dog. Very sad to hear this news, but watch this space. It won't be long before you are reading about Anglers going into the water on the Ythan. The seal population here is massive and the seals attack anything moving in the water. At one time they wouldn't come near a boat, now they are grabbing seatrout as they are being reeled in right along side the boat. it wont be long before a boat is tipped over and the Anglers end up in the river, with the speed of the tide here, they would be in the north sea before anyone could help.
Many times Undy Estate has been asked to cull these seals, but they have made all kinds of excuses up so as not to upset the local bunny huggers.

I know Mathew and I remember him getting his dog. Very sad to hear this news, but watch this space. It won't be long before you are reading about Anglers going into the water on the Ythan. The seal population here is massive and the seals attack anything moving in the water. At one time they wouldn't come near a boat, now they are grabbing seatrout as they are being reeled in right along side the boat. it wont be long before a boat is tipped over and the Anglers end up in the river, with the speed of the tide here, they would be in the north sea before anyone could help.Many times Undy Estate has been asked to cull these seals, but they have made all kinds of excuses up so as not to upset the local bunny huggers.
It will take a human fatality before anything gets done, normally the case nowadays unfortunatley. Reactive, not Proactive.Sad

As a keen wildfowler and dog owner my heart goes out to this lad and his tragic loss.

Here's the link to the article in the Local paper http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/SectionPage.aspx/PJHome/PJNews I know and shoot with Matthewhe's a good and responsible wildfowler and angler. At one time the seals were controlled and there were very few about, now as Alan says there are many hundreds but control is very difficult with the new legislation.

This was the work of a large carnivore but they have soft appealing eyes and sing mournfully and people enjoy looking at them. If if was the work of one of these mysterious large cats the police would be scouring the countryside for it but as TJ says it will probably take a human fatality to push public opinion to achieve a cull. Hopefully parents will keep their children out of the water when on the estuary and the beach.

This incident took place away from the seal colony and shame on any who are apologists for the seals and suggest that any responsible wildfowler shouldn't be using a dog or refraining from wildfowling, the public in Scotland have a right of reaction on the foreshore and this includes bathing fishing, shooting and walking or swimming your dog.

Bob

Last edited:
Back