Alternative to 130 & 150 gr Nosler partition spritzers.

smithp18

I know this is probably been done to death but I loaded to last that I had of each of the above for Sika and Red.
They are not the cheapest after looking to restock.
Is there anybody else who moved away from Nosler on price and found something just as good if not better without the price tag Nosler command.

Thanks

Phil

Don't know if this will help but I have 150gr sierra Gamekings loaded for my 30-06. They are doing 2840fps. Do a good job with minimal meat damage but good wound channel/organ damage.

Jonathon

I've worked up a .270 load with Hornady 140gr BTSP bullets at 2850fps. I've yet to shoot anything other than paper with them but their reputation as a reliable soft-point seems to be sound, and I pay £28/100.

Thanks for the replys, Dalua where did you get the Hornady 140gr BTSP anywhere local.

Thanks

Phil

Don't know if this will help but I have 150gr sierra Gamekings loaded for my 30-06. They are doing 2840fps. Do a good job with minimal meat damage but good wound channel/organ damage.

Jonathon

can i ask a question i have always used sierra gamekings in 130 grain but since shooting a few reds i have found i havnt had one exit and similar on a sika but looking at it probably broke up on shoulder all the reds dropped on the spot so that was ok but having used one on sika its now put me off using them after reading up on them i have switched to sst. the gamekings grouped very well was running fast and devastating on fox and roe but all bullets recovered had shed the cores, atb wayne

Hornady Interlocks
The deer dont know the different and the they perform like bullets of twice the price bracket

can i ask a question i have always used sierra gamekings in 130 grain but since shooting a few reds i have found i havnt had one exit and similar on a sika but looking at it probably broke up on shoulder all the reds dropped on the spot so that was ok but having used one on sika its now put me off using them after reading up on them i have switched to sst. the gamekings grouped very well was running fast and devastating on fox and roe but all bullets recovered had shed the cores, atb wayne

mereside
they are great on Roe, they punch through nicely. Mimimal meat damage and minimal briusing.
The fallow I have taken with them didn't move, but saying that two were slightly quartering so took out the opposite shoulder .
The guy who reloads them for me tends to stock Sierra and Hornady so i tend to go with what he has.
The load we have worked up shoots really well, if I do my bit they will .5" group.
BUT we don't want to group on a deer do we ;)

He is going to load a few Nosler 150gr ballistic tips as I have had a couple of the Sierra's soft points miss shape after loading and un loading but I think that's more down to operator error;)

Jonathon

mereside
they are great on Roe, they punch through nicely. Mimimal meat damage and minimal briusing.
The fallow I have taken with them didn't move, but saying that two were slightly quartering so took out the opposite shoulder .
The guy who reloads them for me tends to stock Sierra and Hornady so i tend to go with what he has.
The load we have worked up shoots really well, if I do my bit they will .5" group.
BUT we don't want to group on a deer do we ;)

He is going to load a few Nosler 150gr ballistic tips as I have had a couple of the Sierra's soft points miss shape after loading and un loading but I think that's more down to operator error;)

Jonathon

thanks Jonathon yes i cant fault them on roe i havnt had the pleasure to shoot a fallow yet but after seeing no exits on my reds and a sika it got me worried all my reds dropped on the spot but without an exit and i want a blood trail to follow if they run so have decided to change for bigger animals it is also interesting reading that ballistics page that has also been the case with sierra unless at longer ranges ,atb wayne

Is the correct answer.....

agreed, I'm going back to nosler partitions in all my firearms, between federal, hornady and other brands there's just too high a percentage of non-exits even on square broadside H/L shots with no shoulder strike.

going to NH/Maine for xmas so will be bringing the big bag and posting some bullets back. apparently posting to myself is fine,,,so they say :)

agreed, I'm going back to nosler partitions in all my firearms, between federal, hornady and other brands there's just too high a percentage of non-exits even on square broadside H/L shots with no shoulder strike.

going to NH/Maine for xmas so will be bringing the big bag and posting some bullets back. apparently posting to myself is fine,,,so they say :)

there is two train of thaughts on this one that the bullet has dumped all its energy into the animal and an exit is not needed now to me this works well with alot of animals but after watching a sika getting knocked completely off its feet only to get back up after the initial shock limping off i want a big wound channel and a nice big exit so it looses its blood quickly so im with you pkl on this ,atb wayne

Last edited:
Hi,
Just to confirm, I can buy any hunting round or rounds from e.g. Cliff in thestates. I don’t need to be RFD etc., I can ship straight to my home address

that's what I believe to be true as well. expanding ammo cannot be shipped domestically, but you can receive it from an international seller...question is whether or not you should write it in on your own FAC?...

Hi,
Just to confirm, I can buy any hunting round or rounds from e.g. Cliff in thestates. I don’t need to be RFD etc., I can ship straight to my home address

Back