Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ammo availability.

ammo availability.

Hello all, am thinking of a rebarrel job. The calibers I am looking at are 1-284 Win 2- 280Rem 3- 7x64,in no particular order. Which one in your opinion would have the best availability and choice of ammo. The rifle will be used for stalking and foxing.Advice welcomed please.

Why not consider 7x66mm vom Hofe Express? Then you can be sure of never finding a single round of ammunition on the shelf in any gunsmith's in the country.

Seriously, though, I'm not sure I'd consider any of those without being able to load my own for them; if only to be able to make lighter, faster loads for the fox.

My advice: if not reloading, .270Winchester.
    Conflict of interest: have rebarrelled a rifle in .270Win, and started reloading.

I would have no expectation that you could buy ammo for any of those rounds without preordering.

Learn to reload or buy a 270.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Dont know how near Valhalla is to huddersfield but kirklees guns carry 7x64 not sure about the others though.
    sinbad
    just checked, they do 280 as well for 29.70 a box (federal).
    the 7x64 is only 16 a box (S&B)
    hope that helps
    Last edited by sinbad; 09-10-2012 at 21:54.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Hunterjohnb.

Go for a .270 as it will do everything that the 7X64 can do and you will have less problems with factory ammo. as most dealers have it in stock.
    I would not want any of the three others mentioned.
    Why create problems for yourself before you start ?

HWH.

Thank you all for your input.I have tried the 270 but I found it a very kicky,noisy caliber. Perhaps a medium weight barrel and a mod might tame the beast!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterjohnb View Post
    Thank you all for your input.I have tried the 270 but I found it a very kicky,noisy caliber. Perhaps a medium weight barrel and a mod might tame the beast!
    Eh, lad. The case capacity of the .270, .284 Win., 7x64, and .280 are virtually the same so the power and recoil of either will match too. I don't know why the .270 is rumoured to be such a beast.

Some shooters think the .243 recoil is bad, so everyone's perception just differs from one calibre to another. It'll be much more tiring to carry that heavier hardware than to absorb the higher recoil of a few shots.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Eh, lad. The case capacity of the .270, .284 Win., 7x64, and .280 are virtually the same so the power and recoil of either will match too. I don't know why the .270 is rumoured to be such a beast.

Some shooters think the .243 recoil is bad, so everyone's perception just differs from one calibre to another. It'll be much more tiring to carry that heavier hardware than to absorb the higher recoil of a few shots.
    Quite correct.
    Anyone who considers the .270 a beast is a whimp.
    If you cannot fire and carry a .270 you certainly would be unable to drag a 16 stone Red stag off a steep stoney mountain single handed carrying your rifle and other gear. [ I am a geriatric weakling weighing less than 10 stone yet I had no problems with the 7mm Rem.Mag., .30/06 or .270 and the Reds. ]
    In physics there is a law `for every action there is an equal and opposite re-action`.
    Much power forward and much power backwards all other factors bein equal.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Quite correct.
    Anyone who considers the .270 a beast is a whimp.
    If you cannot fire and carry a .270 you certainly would be unable to drag a 16 stone Red stag off a steep stoney mountain single handed carrying your rifle and other gear. [ I am a geriatric weakling weighing less than 10 stone yet I had no problems with the 7mm Rem.Mag., .30/06 or .270 and the Reds. ]
    In physics there is a law `for every action there is an equal and opposite re-action`.
    Much power forward and much power backwards all other factors bein equal.

HWH.
    if your handle represents your age then I am only a junior. my present stalking rifle is a 30.06 ,total
    kitted weight 10lbs approx. Why the question was asked is because I would like a 7mm caliber other than a magnum. If we all had the same taste it would, indeed be a dull world.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterjohnb View Post
    Why the question was asked is because I would like a 7mm caliber other than a magnum. If we all had the same taste it would, indeed be a dull world.
    If we all had the same taste as you, you'd have no problem buying a wide range of factory cartridges for your 7mm options!

I was thinking of getting a 7x64, but went for .270 simply on the basis of factory ammuntion availability. Perversely, I now do reload: my 140gr 2850fps .270 round is fairly 7x64-like, really.