STRONG RUNNER

nell

Hi guy's im posting this on behalf of my thick mate BEATTIE 16 who is unable to switch on the computer when his wife is out :lol: :lol:
There are a few new plantations on one of the properties i manage, one of which has been taking a bit of a thrashing from a young buck, i have seen the culprit on several occasions, but never been able to take a shot for all the various reasons that occur whilst stalking.
Friday night found me in the said planting, the light was begining to fade and i was thinking it was going to be another blank, when out of a small gully appeared a pair of antlers approx 120 yds,game on, steadied on his ribs as he gave me a perfect broadside veiw, he lept into the air and dissapeared into the gloom as the roar of the 25/06 shattered the silence.
Thinking it was a matter of picking him i took BoB my young lab over to the shot sight,plenty of blood and hair,i set bob on the blood tail thinking it would be no more than a training exercise,how wrong i was. We followed the strong scent approx 80yds to large bush,bob went in,but to my suprise out came the buck followed closely by bob,it was obvious that the buck was badly injured,but was very much alive, although bob has found several deer in his short carrier this was the first live one and i was a little unsure how he would react,i had no need to worry as he had soon made up ground on the fleeing deer,scencing its fate the deer decided to stand and face the dog,by now they where another 100 yds from my position,i could see what was happening, i walked closer trying to get into a position to despatch the deer which proved imposible as bob circled the deer who was using his antlers to best effect,as i walked closer the buck on seeing me decided to make another dash withe bob in hot pursute quiclky disapearing over a bank, i stood quietly and was concerned that i was unable to hear bobs bell ringing that is attached to his tracking collar, i continued in the direction i had last seen the pair heading,on reaching the burn at the bottom of the gulley i was very happy to find bob sitting beside a very dead roe buck.
On glalloching the deer i discoverd that the unfortunate beast had been hit slightly low almost destroying the sternum.
What would we do without our dogs?????

Pics to follow

BEATTIE 16

thanks for posting your mates experience
these are some of the problems i often hear about from working a dog of a leash
thats is why i want mine to work off a leash just like she is on one
but a good learning experience for both dog and owner :)

nice to hear he is using a lab and pleased with the reults of his training
look forward to a few pics
ATB

stone said:
thanks for posting your mates experience
these are some of the problems i often hear about from working a dog of a leash
thats is why i want mine to work off a leash just like she is on one
but a good learning experience for both dog and owner :)

nice to hear he is using a lab and pleased with the reults of his training
look forward to a few pics
ATB

Hi STONE, What advantage would having your dog working 5-10m in front of you have been in this situation?
What would you expect of your dog when comming up on a live deer in cover that did not offer the oppertunity of another shot?
I am also a big lab fan,i have always let them hunt free,but intend to train my next on a leash, he or she should be born end of this week all being well.

NELL

Nell
i was going to highlight the points that i was interested in asking about about but decided against that, as i feel you may of been mistaken my post and felt i was trying to fuel a fire that has not yet been lit
so you will hav to try and sift through this instead
i my-self is training a young lab bitch
yes she is coming on well, but still i hav issuses as she has over excelled on some trails which hav been 24 hours + but failed on 1 hour old scent
as a result of my lack of experience of using a dog in the situation we were in
but your mate has a young dog like myself and as his first runner he lets the dog decide
but your mates training is on a bell not on the dog returning his master so relys on hearing the bell , but once the deer is dead and the dog has found it there is no noise but then nothing leading him back to the dead deer
so letting a young dog to chase a deer that the dog has no intention of brining the deer down does raise a little concern but like you say the dog has brought the deer to bay, but has not focused the deer's mind where another shot can be taken as the deer is probaly almost station, but as the dog is running around the deer so not shot available, fair enough
that i feel a dog under controll or on a leash may be a better option which is where i hope my training style might help as the deer is not spooked or flustered by a yapping dog
then the deer runs on again
with dog intow again, not likely to bring the deer down again
but your mate follows in the right direction and luckily finds his dog sat over the dead deer even though he can't hear the bell
just think if the deer had run on another 500-600 yards or more
would he of been so lucky to find his dog so quickly, or if that had been a cliff face as injured animals may not be thinking straight and run over a cliff face i know this as i hav shot red and roe that hav done this so would a dog as close in chase follow the same path or would it manage to stop itself?
but as the dog was found sat by the dead deer
how long before the dog would of realised that his master was not coming to find him or would the dog sit there all night? and how much affect this might of had on a young dog
he may not be so reluctant to follow another deer if his early experiences were of a bad kind
i hav nothing against what your mate has done, but more interested in his further training aspects, and his thoughts on them as that is how to learn from experience
as i hope you can see i am out to learn not critise
good luck in choosing your new pup
what will you go for bitch or dog????

Back