Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger M77 Scout ???

Ruger M77 Scout ???

Some while back I started a thread on what bullets for Boar/moose. This was with the view to using my existing rifle on said quarry as I had the chance of a trip to Canada. However for some time now I have been considering the idea of a variation for a 30 cal since my FLO is against the idea of 6.5mm for boar in England (home office guidelines state .270 or greater) which could be discussed at length, but that's another story. Since this I have been giving some thought to what rifle I should get. Now here's the thing, I like traditional rifles, elegant lines real timber, slim barrels, but with the thought I would like this rifle to be a multi use weapon for woodland stalking, driven boar (this is on my list of things to do) and the chance of moose shooting I have overcome my feelings and considering the Ruger M77 Gunsite scout. I've read the reviews, looked at them at the Midland game fair and I have come to think not only does it achieve it's design concept of a take anywhere, do anything gun but I do like it rugged looks.
    My question is has anyone got one/used one? And do you guy's think I would get too much jibing of hunters if I were to turn up with one?
    You view's will be received with interest.

Looked at one myself, based on the original scout rifle, which was really a survivalised gun, it's no doubt a rugged bit of kit, don,t worry about other shooters if it's what you want. If you want jibing buy a lever action, then watch there faces when you out shoot them.

Did you buy one Taff? If not what put you off?

I dont own one, but I have put a few rounds through one that a younger friend bought this spring.It shot quite well ,3 shots into about 2.5 inches ( sorry boys , thats about as good as my 51 year old eyes can do with iron sights) the trigger could have been a little better but not to bad. Overall , a nice rifle . One negative, they are loud . Moderators are a prohibited device here but the barrel is threaded for the flash suppressor so it should be an easy change for you to make.I,d buy one but I've got a No.5 Lee Enfield that does the same thing .
    Not much but I hope this helps Good hunting ab

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    I dont own one, but I have put a few rounds through one that a younger friend bought this spring.It shot quite well ,3 shots into about 2.5 inches ( sorry boys , thats about as good as my 51 year old eyes can do with iron sights) the trigger could have been a little better but not to bad. Overall , a nice rifle . One negative, they are loud . Moderators are a prohibited device here but the barrel is threaded for the flash suppressor so it should be an easy change for you to make.I,d buy one but I've got a No.5 Lee Enfield that does the same thing .
    Not much but I hope this helps Good hunting ab
    No. Two and a half inches is about what everyone gets with them according to several test reports. Accuracy is not one of it's strong points.~Muir

Thanks , that makes me feel better haha . What part of the states are you from?

Wood master I didn't in the end, I think it's more of a fun gun than a stalking rifle and the other guns I have are more user friendly to my type of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    Thanks , that makes me feel better haha . What part of the states are you from?
    Big Sky Country.~Muir

Got any suggestions for other rifles that could fit the bill. To use on driven boar, moose, and stalking. Not too heavy, short barrel and withstand extreme conditions? In .30 cal most likely.

Might give a look at the Ruger Alaskan. It's even available (or used to be) in 9.3x62, which would be perfect for boar.