Thread: Wild Boar or Badgers...?!

Wild Boar or Badgers...?!

I shoot a peice of land near the surrey/sussex border... there was a load of torn up lawn/paddock 10sq/m a while go that I put down to badger activity (digging for leather jackets).

There were some strange gouges out of the ground that I wasn't sure about. I was obviously secretly hoping it was Wild Boar, but to my knowledge there aren't any in that area... or so I thought. There are certainly a few badgers about!

Fallow exist on the same shoot but I've not seen one in over a year - there's a lot of wooded cover, and a lot of Roe, so it occured to me that if Fallow were around and I hadn't seen them then perhaps Wild Boar might also be passing through the land on occasion without being seen?

This is off the back of a sighting in Godalming in Surrey that I read about online. I know there have also been a few released (and quickly shot) on the south downs in West Sussex... so wondered if anyone had seen any?

Is there any definitive way I can tell if it's Boar?

Thanks,
    BD

Look for tracks, easy to tell if its boar or deer

Bunny doom I'm pretty close to you ( near petworth ) and there are boar locally as a farmer had a break out near Haslemere . Your Lucy to see them but unlucky to see the damage .

Thanks both! Fingers crossed it's Boar - not seen any tracks but just googled what they look like so maybe I will now I know what I'm looking for!

Put up a trail cam and feed up next month to see what's about
    atb Steve

Was it like this?

If so,definitely Billy Badger.

Don't have a trail cam

Thanks Remington - was somewhere between your pics and what I've seen of Boar... was surprised to see that much damage from badgers on your pics though so maybe it was just badgers (please god let it be boat though!)

Can borrow one of mine for a few weeks if you want Rich......
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

Quote Originally Posted by Southdowns_stalking View Post
    Can borrow one of mine for a few weeks if you want Rich......
    That would be awesome yes please!

No problem, will arrange one ready for Thursday.
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie