Thread: Seal kills dog

Seal kills dog

Apologies if this has been posted already. Anyone with a dog retrieving in water near seals should read this.

It seems seal pups are born around now and they are very protective.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...eve-ducks.html

fraser

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Apologies if this has been posted already. Anyone with a dog retrieving in water near seals should read this.

It seems seal pups are born around now and they are very protective.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...eve-ducks.html

fraser

Sad story and one which hits home. Remember taking my lab out when she as 12 months to fetched winged geese from the river after a morning flight, a bit of training early on. Going I to spool were the water eddied rounds large grey bull popped his head up. I heald the bead on his head till my then pup cleared the water... I thought I was being over the top but I wasn't taking any chances. How many ore attacks have the been form seals on dogs?

There are certainly too many seals up our way and about time something was done about them...

I was shooting ysterday in the company of someone who owns a bit of the river Ythan where this tragic incident took place and he informed me that a terrier was taken by a seal a few weeks ago there. He also said that anglers fishing this estuary on many occasion have been bothered by seals coming too close and deciding packing up and moving on was the best course of action. Apparently this has been the worse season he can remember on the Ythan and puts the blame on seals.

It is tragic for the fowler to have to shoot his dog because it was injured so badly by the seal. I wonder what would have happened if he shot the seal to save his dog from further injury?

The police along with the RSPCA would certainly come knocking.............