Thread: Sierra 180grn over black powder.

Sierra 180grn over black powder.

Hi all.
    Sierra 180 grn over 65 grns of fffg black powder with lubricated patch 425cal. 1152ft/ibs good from 50-125yrds may be more if you can see that far.
    This is a good load for the small deer muntjac cwd plus fox's knocks them down very well. And yes i do have it on my cerificate to do just that . As you
    can see it's a bit out of the norm but that's the fun of it. Rifle 45cal Hawkin 32inch barrel double set trigger. Target at 100yrds two outside bull sighting in.

All best Lever Man aka Muzzle Man.
    Here's a pict or two

Quote Originally Posted by Lever Man View Post
    Hi all.
    Sierra 180 grn over 65 grns of fffg black powder with lubricated patch 425cal. 1152ft/ibs good from 50-125yrds may be more if you can see that far.
    This is a good load for the small deer muntjac cwd plus fox's knocks them down very well. And yes i do have it on my cerificate to do just that . As you
    can see it's a bit out of the norm but that's the fun of it. Rifle 45cal Hawkin 32inch barrel double set trigger. Target at 100yrds two outside bull sighting in.

All best Lever Man aka Muzzle Man.
    Here's a pict or two
    You must be doing around 1700 fps. What is the twist rate of your rifle??~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 13-10-2012 at 21:02.

Hi Muir.
    The rifle has a 1 in 48 twist rate and also shoots round patched balls well.
    All the best Lever man.

Remarkable accuracy from such a slow twist. I could never consistently get that kind of accuracy from conicals in my .45 Hopkins & Allen, or Thompson Center which had the same 1-48 twist rate. How thick is the patch and what configuration are you cutting it into? What's the chrongraph data like?~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Remarkable accuracy from such a slow twist. I could never consistently get that kind of accuracy from conicals in my .45 Hopkins & Allen, or Thompson Center which had the same 1-48 twist rate. How thick is the patch and what configuration are you cutting it into? What's the chrongraph data like?~Muir
    Hi Muir.
    I just had a look at my guns book and it said Lyman rifles 45 and 50cal are all rifled with a 1in 48 twist. And shoot both ball and conical solid or hollow base bullets
    successfully. The patches i use are made by Hodgdon pre-lubricated and are .015 thickness. The chrongraph i use belongs to my friend so when we have another shooting session with the old muzzel loader i will let you know.
    All best Lever Man.

I have a Great Plains in 50 caliber but haven't seen it yet, first hand. It's in a collection I bought on the east coast and I'm having hell getting any of it shipped... even tho only ONE of the rifles falls under the 1968 Gun Control Act. (black powder guns aren't regulated) No problem tho. I have several bp rifles and handguns from 30 caliber to 58 caliber. The Lyman guns are great.~Muir

Hi Muir. Iv'e had my Lymam 45cal rifle for over 10 years but a 50cal is the one i like. But over here in the UK 45cal is all i could get please let me know when you shoot
    your great plains 50.
    All the best Lever Man.

Hi Muir. Iv'e had my Lymam 45cal rifle for over 10 years but a 50cal is the one i like. But over here in the UK 45cal is all i could get please let me know when you shoot
    your great plains 50.
    All the best Lever Man.
    I will if I can ever get it.
    I do shoot other fifties and in my current locale I consider it minimum for deer. I sent my brother a Green Mountain barreled Thompson Center Renegade in 50 with a 1-66" twist. He got tired of the "in-line" rifle he owned because it took away from the spirit of BP hunting and now uses only round balls. HE fell in love with the sport again. My 53 is a round ball gun as are some of my sub calibers. The deer don't know the difference.~Muir

Hi Muir.
    That's a nice looking rifle is that you or your brother out in the snow and with a good deer to.
    All the best Lever Man.

Hi Muir.
    That's a nice looking rifle is that you or your brother out in the snow and with a good deer to.
    All the best Lever Man.
    Thanks. That 53 is a very traditional Hawken and I like it. It is exceedingly accurate. That is me in -18F cold.~Muir