Challenge

Dan Newcombe

Right

I have:

Roe loin
Back leg
Shoulder

Considering that i have severely limited resources (olive oil, white peper, salt, veggies bought to order and little else) and even more limited culinary skills being a 24 year old single male

What can i do with that little lot beyond my usual plain steak and casserole effort.

Legs are on the bone at present but can be removed easily.

Dan

Dan, if you can stretch that to some smoked bacon and blue cheese try this. You can use the loin or leg steaks for this.
Wrap the venison and a little cheese in the smoked bacon. Then wrap this in some tin foil, wrap the foil loosely so that the meat is in a kind of pocket.
Roast this slowly, an hour to an hour and a half depending on how well cooked you like your venison.
Serve with the veg you have at hand. You can pour the juices from the foil over the veg. It`s better than gravy.
basil.

Buy yourself two tins of decent tomatoe soup. Casserole the shoulder with fresh veg in the soup. A casserole with a difference.
basil.

Basil

That is exactly the kind of thing i am talking about. They will be tried out as soon as i get time to cook and enjoy the product!

Any others of similar simplicity will be very welcome

Dan

Dan,

make a venison wellington out of the loin.
Get some parma ham, mushrooms and pastry. Seal the loin by frying it on all sides. Liquidise the mushrooms and then fry them to get rid of the water. Lay out the parma ham on some clingfilm, spread the mushrooms on to this and then place the loin on top. Then wrap the loin in the parma ham by folding over the cling and wrapping it tightly. Put it in the fridge for 20mins to half an hour. In the meantime roll out some pastry and then place the loin on the pastry sealing it at the edges and then brush with egg. Cook the pastry for about 20-30 mins. You could make a red wine sauce to go with this by reducing some red wine with garlic puree, red currant jelly and some red wine vinegar.

Blackie

Mossy-dog said:
Basil

That is exactly the kind of thing i am talking about. They will be tried out as soon as i get time to cook and enjoy the product!

Any others of similar simplicity will be very welcome

Dan
Well! Did you try them?
basil.

get yourself a hand mincer (about £25 in bushwear) and then you will be able to make shepards pie, chilli-con-carne, burgers ect they are all really easy to make and will make a change from the normal things you do with your venison buying a mincer was one of the best cullinary purchases i ever made

Sorry for the delay, totally forgot about this post

I have tried the loin with blue cheese and also the casserole and they turned out very well indeed.

Also use guiness as a casserole basis which is very nice.

Thankyou very much for all the input, wellington is next on the list and i have been thinking about a mincer for a while so that i dont need to but mince any more!

Dan

Back