Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Jackets

Recommended Jackets

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new all round jacket. Needs to be waterproof and allow enough room for a few layers under it if it's chilly.

I've looked at a Barbour and Fjallravens Montt 3 in 1 so far, anything else worth looking at? I am going to buy online due to lack of options locally.

Cheers,

Look at the different offerings from Country Covers, they are very good but do check the sizing and make sure you get it right as you will have it for a long time! My first one is five years old now and has been in daily use (when required) and it is still going strong, a couple of my mates have had them for ten years plus. Highly recomended. Glyn.

I have a Musto Highlands which I like. I wear it in situations where the mil surplus stuff might not be suitable - like travelling to hind stalking by plane.

Recently I've taken to wearing mil surplus windproof smocks with the Nikwax waterproofing for cotton washed into them. My experience has been such that they are now my jacket of choice, and I'm not short of jackets, for stalking however due to cammo colour and not exactly being viewed as "neat and tidy" they are probably not suitable as an all round jacket if you have to nip into town or wear them on the plane or similar. What I will say is that you can pick them up on ebay for a few quid so they are a good value jacket.

You will be surprised at how waterproof the windproof smocks are when the Nikwax is washed in and if you require something totally waterproof you can always add a mil surplus goretex jacket worn UNDER the smock so you keep all your pockets and their contents. As was pointed out to me recently prices on the mil surplus stuff appear to be going up as I think many people are catching on to how good value they are and how suitable they are for many outdoor activities.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

I know what you are saying Caorach, I've still got my last DPM windproof at home and when waterproofed it is as good as any... It's still even got my name, TRF, union jack, and specilist badge on!

But it's really an all rounder I'm after, my girlfrined got a Lady pro hunter from work recently and it does look very smart considering but to hell if I'm shelling out that sort of money.

Go on then ill tell you about my nomad. It's bloody brilliant. So warm and water proof. Even when crawling through bog. It's light weight and every one who handles it can't believe it keeps water out.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

Country Covers stuff good value and as hard as nails. Not the smartest looking jacket but very functional

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    Look at the different offerings from Country Covers, they are very good but do check the sizing and make sure you get it right as you will have it for a long time! My first one is five years old now and has been in daily use (when required) and it is still going strong, a couple of my mates have had them for ten years plus. Highly recomended. Glyn.
    I bought mine after seeing Glyn with his! I had another 3 gamekeepers out stalking last year and they all had Country Covers gear. used and abused daily and like Glyn says, still going strong after several years.

Just received my Country Covers smock - had a couple of extra pockets added as in my opinion was lacking in this area, however initial thoughts are very positive - it's extremely light & well made so will field test in S.Ayreshire next weekend.
    www.monarchcountryproducts.co.uk for quality stalking & shooting accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    +1 for country covers
    DJC

I have recently got a set of Hillman outbrave jacket/trousers and think there awesome for the money I have got a set of pro hunter jacket/trousers also but don't think I'll be paying that money again after buying this set

http://www.icchunting.co.uk/online-store/468.html
    http://www.icchunting.co.uk/online-store/470.html