Thread: Brilliant evening

Brilliant evening

Just got back from a great evening out stalking , I finished work at 5 and grabbed my gear . Off I went . I stalked into a field of clover I've been seeing deer on for weeks , no sign of anything but I started around the perimeter anyhow . Halfway round the field I spotted a lovely 6 point buck I've seen on a few occasions , twice during the rut when I left him , hoping to breed me some more good bucks ! I actually missed this lad on an outing in September so was pleased to see he was still on my patch . There was nothing else showing , so I began to stalk him . I got to within 100 yards of him and he saw me , so I brought the rifle up and took the shot . He fell to the .308 150gr and didn't move again . One of my best stalks so far , and so rewarding to cath up with him towards the end of the season . As I began the gralloch I saw 5 more roe emerge the next field over and start grazing the sweet clover . 2 does , 2 kids and a young 4 point buck . I decided not to be greedy on this occasion and felt pleased and privelidged at the roe population on my ground , perhaps that young buck could be a 6 pointer next year . We shall see . I dragged him back to the landrover and he's hanging in the barn as we speak . I've just finished eating the fillets . Delicious . Maybe the last buck I take this season but I'm so pleased and happy with how it's gone . He was my 13th buck and the 2nd best head this year . What brilliant evening .

Nice one,well done,sounds like a perfect evening......

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    Just got back from a great evening out stalking , I finished work at 5 and grabbed my gear . Off I went . I stalked into a field of clover I've been seeing deer on for weeks , no sign of anything but I started around the perimeter anyhow . Halfway round the field I spotted a lovely 6 point buck I've seen on a few occasions , twice during the rut when I left him , hoping to breed me some more good bucks ! I actually missed this lad on an outing in September so was pleased to see he was still on my patch . There was nothing else showing , so I began to stalk him . I got to within 100 yards of him and he saw me , so I brought the rifle up and took the shot . He fell to the .308 150gr and didn't move again . One of my best stalks so far , and so rewarding to cath up with him towards the end of the season . As I began the gralloch I saw 5 more roe emerge the next field over and start grazing the sweet clover . 2 does , 2 kids and a young 4 point buck . I decided not to be greedy on this occasion and felt pleased and privelidged at the roe population on my ground , perhaps that young buck could be a 6 pointer next year . We shall see . I dragged him back to the landrover and he's hanging in the barn as we speak . I've just finished eating the fillets . Delicious . Maybe the last buck I take this season but I'm so pleased and happy with how it's gone . He was my 13th buck and the 2nd best head this year . What brilliant evening .
    I'd like to congratulate you.
    All to often the other younger buck would have gone the same way as your 1st. You have shown by your actions that you are a hunter in the true sense, by not being greedy.
    If you had 6x roe on your ground a maximum cull would be 2x per year. This would allow you to maintain the population at 6x as the 2x you take out are replaced by the fawns. Cull a doe in winter preferably a youngster.
    Your buck will be better for it too. More grub for him during his growing season. He will almost certainly be a 6 pointer.
    Hopefully the fawn you have left will be a buck fawn and he too can then be left to come on.
    Well done again.