Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotland

Scotland

Are we in Scotland to hungry do we shoot to many deer with out thinking of what might be. I have been speaking to 4 different guides all English and living in Scotland all think we dont see the big picture up here and just shoot every thing we see and only the older chaps at retrial age seem to calm down abit.

Ye calmin doon already DavieNearin at age noo ain't ye

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

just as well the retirement age is going up then......

Your needing to turn your hearing aid up. What they said was that the English come up here and shoot evrything they see without thinking what may be.

it fair to say they 'try' at least

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Are we in Scotland to hungry do we shoot to many deer with out thinking of what might be. I have been speaking to 4 different guides all English and living in Scotland all think we dont see the big picture up here and just shoot every thing we see and only the older chaps at retrial age seem to calm down abit.
    David are you referrring to lowland deer, highland deer or just deer numbers in Scotland in general?

I think there is an issue where a few individuals hold a lot of ground (some unshot) to the detriment of others and when the others are lucky enough to get their own ground their only option is to shoot whatever deer are on it to balance the cost and regardless of the impact on the numbers. Not a good management plan but it satisfies the recreational stalkers need.

The Highland Estates are generally well managed and have a set cull target where the herd size is maintained. I was stalking in Sutherland last week and the number of deer on the ground was immense, with the stalker advising that the SNH count seemed low at 400 and from the numbers that I saw I would agree.

I might get a bit of stick for this (understatement of the month) but I'd like to see deer numbers in Scotland reduced vastly by maybe 70% so that the ground can recover and the trees can come back and then the deer populations returned to sustainable levels. Red deer herds have deprived Scotland of vast natural resources for a very long time now, there's room for all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabz View Post
    I might get a bit of stick for this (understatement of the month) but I'd like to see deer numbers in Scotland reduced vastly by maybe 70% so that the ground can recover and the trees can come back and then the deer populations returned to sustainable levels. Red deer herds have deprived Scotland of vast natural resources for a very long time now, there's room for all of it.
    rubbish, what about the thousands of sheep that carpet the hills, no mention of them destroying habitat

Red deer herds have deprived Scotland of vast natural resources for a very long time now, there's room for all of it.
    are you on crack?!
    victorian wool barons did that long before "stalking for the masses" came along!!

some island deer populations are already at 30% of what they were 10-20 years ago

I see were you are coming from Shabz, if you don't already have an understanding of what happened to the Caledonian Pine Forest there is a good go at the answer here http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/fores...restation.html Bearing in mind what is brought to context in the text in the enclosed link at which point do we agree "this is the way the country side should look", 4500 years ago covered in trees or 14000 years ago when there was not a tree in sight? Or how about millions of years ago whne Dinasaurs walked the earth? The point is times, enviroment and climates change is part of the natural cycle and we should to an extent go with the flow. I know you mention natural resources but in reality it is most likely that Caledonian pine woods would not present any viable source of lumber due to the character of dispersion/lack of density, it would not be finically viable. However it does increase diversity, there are already several places in existence within Scotland where dear are heavily culled and natural regeneration is occurring (for the better)...

The current problem with the observations of deer numbers in Scotland is that in certain area's deer are 'persecuted' in others they are left to thrive to the point where overpopulation results in overgrazing, lack of shelter and resultant death by emaciation during the cold winters... We do not have a balance just now and it will not be easy to obtain, but what we need to do is allow the big wigs and people who have access to the bigger picture make the decisions in what is right and wrong at this current time. I do not believe we can say there is too many/too little from our own observations from one place to another. I shoot on a piece of ground were dear are rare and almost no existent from overshooting, the only deer shot there now are transient. However about 10 miles away I shoot on a piece of ground that is absolutely littered with deer...
    Last edited by aliS; 14-10-2012 at 06:38.