Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kennel Cough

Kennel Cough

All three of my dogs have come down with kennel cough Does anyone know how long they are affected with the cough . The vet was not clear about the time scale. I dont want to take them on any shoots and end up infecting any other dogs.

Sounds horrible, you'd think they were on their last legs.

My dogs have had it in the past usually has gone in two to three weeks, If it's fairly mild they get over it pretty well themselves, if it persists then treatment will be needed. Certainly keep them away from other dogs till the cough has completely gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    All three of my dogs have come down with kennel cough Does anyone know how long they are affected with the cough . The vet was not clear about the time scale. I dont want to take them on any shoots and end up infecting any other dogs.
    it's a real pain, best to keep them well away from shoots, it spreads like wildfire. A few years back one lad brought his dogs to a shoot, they infected nearly every dog in the area, not good for dogs and certainly a pain if every beaters dog in the area is infected in the middle of the shooting season!

i've had all sorts of stories anD remedies from just ignore it to using kids cough medicine, personally, I take them to the vet.

best to err on the side of caution with it.

You can inoculate against it, we do.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

IMO do not ignore and take them to your vets for antibiotics, I nearly lost a dog, which I thought was on the way recovery.

Definately keep them away from other dogs. two of my wolfhounds got it. A month later and the 2 year old died of a burst blood vessel. I can't say it happened because of the infection, but he coughed an awful lot and it was a bit too close to be coincidence in my eyes. And they were all innoculated too

So please please dont let them near other dogs until they're fully recovered and i was told it could even be caught where they had breathed on grass etc, so if thats correct dont take them for walks either ( I didn't )

Scrun

An old vet told me BENILIN cough medicine ,I tried it and believe it or not it was a vast improvement for my dogs .

Quote Originally Posted by scrun63 View Post
    Definately keep them away from other dogs. two of my wolfhounds got it. A month later and the 2 year old died of a burst blood vessel. I can't say it happened because of the infection, but he coughed an awful lot and it was a bit too close to be coincidence in my eyes. And they were all innoculated too

So please please dont let them near other dogs until they're fully recovered and i was told it could even be caught where they had breathed on grass etc, so if thats correct dont take them for walks either ( I didn't )

Scrun

Just clarify, my dogs were seen by my vet and prescribed antibio's

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    An old vet told me BENILIN cough medicine ,I tried it and believe it or not it was a vast improvement for my dogs .
    Many yrs ago a wise old vet, told me the co op bronchil mixture ,its never let me down ,I cut out exercise for week or so keep dogs warm and isolated from other dogs,it has too run its course, and antibiotics are only effective if theres a secondery infection,

All three of my dogs have come down with kennel cough Does anyone know how long they are affected with the cough .

KC covers a multitude of infections all giving the same hacking cough. Several Viruses and one bacteria - Bordetella bronchiseptica. This is related to Whooping cough and there is a similarity when you see severe cases of both. It is highly infectious and can spread through a kennels very rapidly so you are right to be concerned about taking the dogs on a shoot. The good news is the dogs mostly self cure, although antibiotics help (assuming it's the bacteria) and I mostly use them for the very young or old. Take your pick with cough syrup, but the damaged area is the trachea, so the cough medicine won't get there. The bad news is the length of time they are infectious can be a couple of weeks to three months. My rule of thumb has been to wait a week after the cough has gone. At least that way they are not much more of a risk than the dog who is shedding infection and has never had a cough. Vaccination is useful. Hope they recover OK