Blaser 'Spares' Question

EMcC

I have a Blaser R93 with more than one barrel. I am thinking of buying the 'Spares' to make it into two rifles.
Has anybody done this and what did it involve ?
The way I see it is that as the 'Spares' are not pressure bearing and not serial numbered, I should be able to go ahead and buy them without the hassle of going through the FC system.
Am I correct or am I living in cloud cuckoo land.

EMcC,

I did this with my Mauser MO3.
Your "barrel" is actually filling a slot so it's the same as a rifle.
Your RFD will have no problem supplying the rest and neither of you have to inform FLO.

Stan

EMcC,I did this with my Mauser MO3.Your "barrel" is actually filling a slot so it's the same as a rifle.Your RFD will have no problem supplying the rest and neither of you have to inform FLO.Stan

I did discuss this with my RFD who has the 'Spares' I would need, but he is of the opinion that I need to get my FC amended from one rifle with spare barrel to two rifles.
I disagreed with him because of the barrels being the serial numbered items only and there being no need to enter the purchase of the 'Spare' items on my FC.
As it's the week-end I thought I'd swing it by the site to see what other members thought.

Last edited:
I have really no idea, all I can say is I have a European client he has two barrels for his Blaser they get listed on his Visitors Firearm Permit as if it was to seperate rifles.

Blaser calibre seriel no.
Blaser calibre serial no.

Ive done this in wiltshire, just get free varation to change wording on ticket, wilts treat barrell as a rifle and vice versa. Tvp are a bit more anal about it and didnt understand the whole modular thing.

Extra barrels for modular firearms such as the Blaser count as a separate firearm and need the appropriate variation. atb Tim

What I was told was that the spares that need to be on your ticket are those that are pressure-bearing, i.e. the barrel (obviously) and the bolt/bolt head (even though this is not listed separately on the ticket).

The stock, magazine and (of course) saddlemount do not.

I have my .308 and .243 listed as separate rifles.

willie_gunn

Last edited:
Oh well, soon be Monday and I'll give Wilts Firearms Dept a ring or maybe swing by to discuss.
Tim, I already have the extra barrel listed on my FC as just a barrell, not a firearm.
It may be classed as a Firearm already by Wilts FD so it may be just a matter of having a few words added or just amended on my FC, tomorrow will tell.

Makes no difference what they put on your FAC as if "it's a barrel" or if it's a "rifle".

It fills a slot for a rifle, ergo 'tis a rifle.

You try and get a slot for a barrel (not something you find on any paperwork) for any calibre.

The system doesn't currently discriminate between selfish one barrel rifles and multi barrel rifles ;)

It's the slots that matter....

Stan

Makes no difference what they put on your FAC as if "it's a barrel" or if it's a "rifle".

It fills a slot for a rifle, ergo 'tis a rifle.

It's the slots that matter....

Stan

Sorry, got to disagree. He has permission to have an extra barrel. He does not have permission to have an extra action, bolt or any other major component/pressure bearing part of the rifle.

A 'slot' does not have to be a rifle, if it says barrel, it means barrel. If it meant rifle, it would say rifle.

rarms,

Then your experience of multi barrel rifles, and those of other owners that I know, is different to mine.

Without a slot for a calibre, you can't get a rifle/barrel. If you get either it's recorded as reported.

Now, taking your one rifle through Customs with a different barrel in it......

Stan

I have just had a most unusual conversation with one of the FEOs at Wiltshire Firearms department.
It was with someone I haven't met or spoken to before and was most frustrating.
At first he stated I had to get rid of my .243 barrel and apply for another .243 rifle.
They do not do an 'acquire on disposal of' variation so that would mean a trip to dispose of the barrel, a trip to Devizes with all the required paperwork to apply to acquire another rifle and a trip back to my RFD that would be holding my barrel ready to make the rifle up and then enter it on my FC.
The other way he mentioned would be to get the variation form and fill in the bits I wish to acquire and apply that way.
I then explained that the bits I would require were all non serial numbered, his reply was that it didn't matter it still had to be done because once I got it home, where I had the barrel, it would then become a rifle !!
I suggested that maybe I could pop in and get the wording on my FC changed from serial No xxxxxx barrel to serial No xxxxxx rifle but no that couldn't be done.
I got the impression he didn't understand the concept of modular rifles and the Blaser in particular because he kept refering for the need to acquire an action that contains the cartridge.
I explained that the action on a Blaser contains the bolt. I explained that cartridge is contained in the chamber which is part of the barrel and the only bit that has a serial number and any reference to the calibre.
After a rather protracted conversation going backwards and forwards it was decided that I should put in for a variation listing all the bits I needed and send an accompanying letter explaining what I want to do.

Sorry, got to disagree. He has permission to have an extra barrel. He does not have permission to have an extra action, bolt or any other major component/pressure bearing part of the rifle.

A 'slot' does not have to be a rifle, if it says barrel, it means barrel. If it meant rifle, it would say rifle.

+1 It all dependes on the wording on the ticket. I had permission for 2 rifles but started with the extra barrel.

However on a different point the 'spares' are likely to cost you more than an entire new rifle!!

So if you can find a second hand action of your choice, AND your ticket allows for the 2 rifles as above, AND you have a pet or friendly RFD it might be cheaper to buy a full rifle and trade in the second barrel?

A Rt handed bolt is about £3-400 a left handed nearer £600 and I have seen off road/professional stocks for about £900. It might be possible to buy second hand for nearer £1200 and you'll get about £450-600 for your 'extra' barrel... unless of course you can get a variation for an extra calibre??

Regards

Fraser

+1 on the last comment a quick look on Mcleods and a S/H R93 T/hole in .308 is £1750 and a new bolt £440 and the same stock £1575. which I make £2010 even with postage and RFD costs selling the .308 barrel at a give away price is a big saving.

Hi EMC

I think you could a spare stock without any issue, but you might struggle getting a new bolt without the paperwork. Glad you are still enjoying your Blaser and surprised that you have not added more barrels!

Regards

Conor

Hi EMCI think you could a spare stock without any issue, but you might struggle getting a new bolt without the paperwork. Glad you are still enjoying your Blaser and surprised that you have not added more barrels! RegardsConor
Fraser/Dickie, I had all the 'spares' covered price wise, second hand items at a very good price too.
It does come down to the bolt head in the end for which I would need a variation to acquire but that would look a bit daft on my FC so I didn't go down that route.
I have since made more enquiries and the bottom line is that I will have to sell my barrel, or lodge it with an RFD to get it off my FC.
Then put in a variation for a .243 rifle at a cost of £26 as a barrel is a barrel and not a rifle !! or classed as a slot on my FC, so no 1 for 1 transaction!!
Then go back to the RFD that I lodged my barrel with and collect the made up rifle from him.
This was the bottom line from BASC and Wilts F Dept.
Conor, I have been tempted but I have a .222 and .308 rifle so can't really justify getting anything else. (or afford it)

EMcC,

Well Lincs and West Yorks give a slot when you asked for a new calibre. None of us asked for a barrel. It gets entered as a barrel when our FACs got called in for reprint. When three of us added "the spares" neither RFD nor Firearms Dept were bothered. No reporting required of either side.

Stan

EMcC,Well Lincs and West Yorks give a slot when you asked for a new calibre. None of us asked for a barrel. It gets entered as a barrel when our FACs got called in for reprint. When three of us added "the spares" neither RFD nor Firearms Dept were bothered. No reporting required of either side.Stan
I contacted BASC and quite frankly was dissappointed with their answer.
Nobody knew and it was only after having a discussion between them selves they decided to go for their majority decision.
I have put it on the back burner for now and may call in sometime and discuss it with the right person at Devizes.

This is the correct answer and if it says barrel on the certificate it means just that.A letter together with your FAC to the licensing office explaining that you wish to "construct" a second rifle around the existing barrel should do the trick or even easier hand your barrel into the dealer thats got the parts and apply for a free variation for said calibre rifle which he then sells to you

So what happens when you put the "barrel" into your existing stock. It then becomes a rifle, but you don't have that rifle mentioned on your FAC ;)

Stan

Back