Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First kill for 60 270

First kill for 60 270

Attachment 20256
    Just back from Scotland stalking stags on the rut.Bought this P.H. 270 for 60 put a Timny trigger in it (30) Barska huntmaster 3-9x50 scope 65. Took this stag at 150 yards after a very long wet and filthy stalk. Not the best head but the effert I put in to getting him gave me great pleasure and the fact that all my cheap kit actually performed in very bad weather pleases me greatly.
    Tusker

Cheap but not crap... Still unmoderated centrefire... I can here the ringing right now...

well done, there are some cracking older rifles about that end up getting scrapped shame really but they still do the job as said many a time its the person behind the rifle not the rifle

there was a chap with a un moderated .243 on my recent shooting test and i have to say we all had a smile on our faces when he fired away you forget how load they can be even whorse when your in a valley ,happy hunting

Nice one mate,its not the rifle,its the bloke behind it ,as pboro shot said!! plenty of keepers and stalkers out there with old cz's etc,who would hammer the brand new 3 grand combo guys handsdown.I started with a parker hale 1100 lightweight in 308w in the eighties,bought for about 250 at the time and a pecar 6x42 for around the same price,loved it and shot loads of deer with it,used israeli samson 308w softpoints,quick handling and accurate rifle ,samson rounds running around 7 for 20 rounds at the time.Things have changed and not for the better pricewise.

not hard to kit yourself out with servicable kit on the cheap. lots of good PH CZ BSA on the market sub 250 and often with mounts.

I love it! A good rifle put to use! Pat yourself on the back, Amigo. Nice job.~Muir

(My $120 Parker Hale 308 Norma Magnum will be taking Elk this fall)

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    Attachment 20256
    Just back from Scotland stalking stags on the rut.Bought this P.H. 270 for 60 put a Timny trigger in it (30) Barska huntmaster 3-9x50 scope 65. Took this stag at 150 yards after a very long wet and filthy stalk. Not the best head but the effert I put in to getting him gave me great pleasure and the fact that all my cheap kit actually performed in very bad weather pleases me greatly.
    Tusker
    You are a champ,I am a great fan of being able to use what is in your hand at the time and not having to have a Sako or Blaser equipped with some topline scope.
    I am a fan of PH`s too,a great rifle brand that seems to be scorned by far too many. I own two,both shoot and hit hard and i`m again looking for an PH action to build another rifle.
    A good hunter is not limited by what he has in his hands at the time,well done Sir!
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

Tusker I share the feeling , I've got a batty old ruger that I bought for 160 quid with an Edgar bros scope on it and I've gradually got it looking presentable . I love my tikka but the ruger brings a smile every time . Nice one

That is exactly what shooting is all about Tusker,well done.

Martin

Nice one, well done.